What's new

Another dumb thread I see a lot.

Depends on the hunting buddy. I've taken several MD'ing trips with one particular "friend" and I wouldn't have it any other way. On the other hand, I've spent a few hours with a couple of other hunters I couldn't wait to get away from. With that said, I see nothing wrong with looking for potential hunting buddies. Just depends on who you end up spending that time with?
 
Yeah, you don't get as excited about something when your alone. Like watching a football game by yourself or with a group of friends...whole different attitude when you have friends to share your excitement with.

I traveled alone for years, kayaking, backpacking, fly fishing, camping, metal detecting, in the end I met a lot of interesting people and I have a lot of neat pictures of places with nobody in them, not even myself. Today when I find a gold ring it just goes in my pouch with little added excitement. At the end of the day I go home and look the ring over without any added excitement, conversation, or shared thoughts. Hunting alone is one thing, sharing those experiences alone is quite another. Not much to be said for the later.
 
I don't think of him so much as a hunting buddy as I do a walking parts supply warehouse. My hunting buddy carries a loupe, a magnet, spare batteries, extra water, sunscreen, cookies or chips, a spare pinpointer, an extra digger and sometimes he shows up with a cooler of beer in his truck.

Hunting Buddies- never leave home without one.
 
Personal preference is all.
 
Having read thru this and thought about it (ouch that hurt,..don't even!).
I think I have part of the answer why I hunt alone, besides time factor. Concentration, I like to fully concentrate on the detector and what I'm doing, thus the over the ear headphones!
I'm the same way in the casino playing the slot machine, I prefer to concentrate on the machine and what I'm doing, I should start wearing my headphones there, that won't work, then I can't hear the machine.
Some times people talk to you who are pleasant to talk to, but other times some people are extremely annoying. But I really would rather concentrate on what I'm doing.

I also like being on T Net and talking with everybody, so what does that say? :icon_scratch:
 
Last edited:
Having read thru this and thought about it (ouch that hurt,..don't even!).
I think I have part of the answer why I hunt alone, besides time factor. Concentration, I like to fully concentrate on the detector and what I'm doing, thus the over the ear headphones!
I'm the same way in the casino playing the slot machine, I prefer to concentrate on the machine and what I'm doing, I should start wearing my headphones there, that won't work, then I can't hear the machine.
Some times people talk to you who are pleasant to talk to, but other times some people are extremely annoying. But I really would rather concentrate on what I'm doing.

I also like being on T Net and talking with everybody, so what does that say? :icon_scratch:

Listen Miss Beeper... Playing slots with headphones would be kind of weird.... and you know this (duh). And concentrating on the slot machine wearing headphones... it makes no difference. Though my wife would argue (go figure). Now I've not yet done the headphone thing with my machine yet and it's PROBABLY why I haven't found the "Golden Horseshoe" yet. But I'll throw ya a bone there because I'm in the minority (I need to get some). But... "Some times people talk to you who are pleasant to talk to, but other times some people are extremely annoying. But I really would rather concentrate on what I'm doing." Amen, and another plug for headphones !!!!!!! But "talking" to folks on T-net is NOT the same as talking to them. I wear my headphones while "talking" to folks on T-net and it MAKES NO DIFFERENCE... so far.

Your a good lady and I enjoy ribbing with ya... Later, Brad
 
It does if they aren't plugged in, then you can't hear us! We are that little voice in your ear..."find the Golden Horseshoe Brad....". Your wife's a smart lady you should listen to her!
Right back at ya!

Just trying to find the answer to boatlode's question, it is still an individual thing with many reasons thrown in the mix, guess it's one of those different strokes for different folks!
 
Sorry, but I did try to keep my big mouth shut on this but I just Can't read anymore posts without suggesting that the title perhaps should not have had the inflammatory word dumb in it

If persons wants to trawl on the site for partners for group se.........oops sorry wrong site. .........for treasure hunting partners then they should do just that. You guys fought hard for your freedoms ( even though you cheated in 1776 wore green, hid behind trees and had the audacity to shoot at the Brits before they were ready for you) nonetheless, the freedoms are there so happy 4th of July to you all and have a great day.......
 
Last edited:
Sorry, but I did try to keep my big mouth shut on this but I just Can't read anymore posts without suggesting that the title perhaps should not have had the inflammatory word dumb in it

If persons wants to trawl on the site for partners for group se.........oops sorry wrong site. .........for treasure hunting partners then they should do just that. You guys fought hard for your freedoms ( even though you cheated in 1776 wore green, hid behind trees and had the audacity to shoot at the Brits before they were ready for you) nonetheless, the freedoms are there so happy 4th of July to you all and have a great day.......
Your right, that's exactly why this post went the way it did...by using the word DUMB, people were offended.
 
"( even though you cheated in 1776 wore green, hid behind trees and had the audacity to shoot at the Brits before they were ready for you)"

Ok SADS (Mr. K).... So we invented the first idea of snipering and we were the first to cover our asses (using trees) AND we learned quickly shoot FIRST!!!! It may not be right or cool but if it makes you a survivor / winner I'm in. I see the Brits no longer wear targets on their uniforms either.

That wasn't exactly thought through from the beginning. Hey thanks for the PM today buddy... Later, Brad
 
"( even though you cheated in 1776 wore green, hid behind trees and had the audacity to shoot at the Brits before they were ready for you)" Ok SADS (Mr. K).... So we invented the first idea of snipering and we were the first to cover our asses (using trees) AND we learned quickly shoot FIRST!!!! It may not be right or cool but if it makes you a survivor / winner I'm in. I see the Brits no longer wear targets on their uniforms either.

If I could find my ample butt with both hands and work out how to hit "like" for your post on my iPad I would, great reply one of your more coherent efforts. Good man Brad seeing my post the way it was meant.........have a hot dog or 6 for me tomorrow
 
Can someone explain this one for me?

Example:



Why are some people obsessed with having a metal detecting partner? It makes no sense to me for two reasons:

1) Neither "buddy" is going to bring his partner to any of his best spots, so both of them will be hunting in a place where they wish they were somewhere else.

2) Once you put the headphones on, you are alone anyway.

Maybe its just me, but I would rather go by myself to my best location. If you need a buddy, meet him somewhere for a beer afterwards.
I like to detect solo
I like to detect with a partner

I like to detect

I don't complain so much about it.

Your mileage may vary.
 
Boatlode,
Fair enough. You certainly are getting a penny for your thoughts ;) hahh. I probably should not have used the pickle reference~ seems more parts of peoples anatomies are coming into play. Better I'd said whatever floats your Boatlode ;) LOL

Any rate it does seem to give some of us things to think on. Not sure what the military rants about but hey maybe they will be detecting together next ;) as they exercise the freedom we all enjoy when ducking behind bushes to snipe coins in our secrete hot spots.
Happy 4th people :occasion14:
 
It's cheaper to go with a partner and fun to brag to them


Tepnify.blogspot.com
 
It's cheaper to go with a partner and fun to brag to them


Tepnify.blogspot.com

Cheaper? The partners I know always want to be stopping for food and drinks, driving all over the countryside, "borrowing" my batteries ....


Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk
 
I take my hunting buddies to 99% of my sites.
In fact my latest site produced a Half Dime for My one Hunting Buddy.
which was older then anything I found there.. and Silver to boot :laughing7:

What's the big Deal ? odds are if I didn't take him, it could end up there for the next Millennium.

works both ways.


By having a few Hunting buddies, you get turned on to new sites, as long as you know the difference between
Public & Personal.

only sites I keep to myself are peoples yards, where the permission was stated as given to "ME" only.

trust me "Fate" Exists when detecting. If You are meant to find it, You will.
(If your fate could be changed,personal time travel would already exist for all)

if you are Not meant to find it , You won't

And the number of people at the same site,
or detector used, won't change things.
 
Last edited:
there's nothing better than getting skunked by your partner...
what a great feeling



liftloop
 
Detect alone. Detect with friends. Whichever works for you. It usually has to do with who it is I'm detecting with. So far everyone I have detected with has been a good partner. If they don't want to take me too their hot spots, thats fine. I generally hunt public places anyway, so I can enjoy the camaraderie there. I don't care what your profession, or what your hobbies are, the BS is always more interesting with those who share your interests.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom