Another field walk 1/29

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
More snow melted off and 41 degrees F today.
All I found was another handful of Burlington flint flakes.
Bottom row, center: reddish-tan (heat treat?)
Bottom row, right: a great rock for my up-coming Pareidolia Garden. It looked great in situ.
I guess just another walk, and thatā€™s ok too. Have a great day!
IMG_2610.jpeg

Upvote 6
Got to be frustrating, keep at it a good one awaits you...

Youā€™re finding high quality Burlington debitage but no points. Your site is midway between flint source and site where they lived. A safe spot where they could reduce what they got at the quarry but away from the quarry. Also, Iā€™d say they are quarrying flint right out of a bluff deposit versus flint from a creek. Creek Burlington would be stained yellowish. Your material is bone white so itā€™s probably not creek flint. You need to expand your search. Flint source will be at bluff outcrop and habitation site close to water.

Youā€™re finding high quality Burlington debitage but no points. Your site is midway between flint source and site where they lived. A safe spot where they could reduce what they got at the quarry but away from the quarry. Also, Iā€™d say they are quarrying flint right out of a bluff deposit versus flint from a creek. Creek Burlington would be stained yellowish. Your material is bone white so itā€™s probably not creek flint. You need to expand your search. Flint source will be at bluff outcrop and habitation site close to water.
Thanks for the info.
Iā€™m gradually working west. I have high ground timber that drops sharply to a creek. The drop is around 60-70 feet.
The ground, on the timbered part, is heavy clay. Lots of vegetation on top.
Iā€™m not sure of the best way to hunt this section. Iā€™ve hunted the creek several times, but only polishing rocks, so far. I plan to go again today.šŸ¤ž

Yep ,what we call a workshop site here in Ohio, usally find alot of brokes rejects etc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back