stpatrick
Greenie
Two weeks ago I posted my finds from a two hour parkway hunt to include a dateless SLQ, two Mercury dimes, a Roosevelt dime, and eight wheat pennies. Well, I only made it through about a quarter of the block before my dad and I had to leave. The four silver coins were found in a span of about 60 feet. So today, my dad and I were finally able to get back to that parkway and finish what we had started two weeks ago.
I headed straight over to the parkway where I had found the three silver dimes. After about 10 minutes, I dug my first 19th century coin...a 1898 Indian Head Penny. It's also my first IHP. I was obviously pretty happy. After about 45 minutes, all spent in the same parkway, I had dug another four silver coins, including a 1936 Mercury dime, and three Rosies (1946, 1949D, and 1956). I also dug a 1941 wheat penny, $1.85 in clad, and an interesting medal/possible keychain. On one side is a cross inside a compass-rose like design. On the reverse is a biblical quote from Jeremiah. I can tell it is not old, but it is testament to how lucky/blessed I was to recover 8 silvers, 1 IHP, and a couple Wheat pennies all from the same parkway. Dad can sure pick the good spots!
Unfortunately, as I was "hitting my stride," a bit of bad luck struck me. After about an hour and a half, my XLT gave me a low battery signal and within 5 minutes had totally pooped out on me. I had left the alkaline battery carriage at home and had neglected to bring my backup Ace 250. I was surprised because before I left the house, I turned on the machine and it displayed a 9.9 volt reading. When it started to die out, it had dropped to 5.3 volts. Go figure. I learned my lesson though. I only need to be burned once. As soon as I got home I threw that battery pack on the charger. I'll be ready to hit it again soon.
Good luck to everyone else. Be safe.
I headed straight over to the parkway where I had found the three silver dimes. After about 10 minutes, I dug my first 19th century coin...a 1898 Indian Head Penny. It's also my first IHP. I was obviously pretty happy. After about 45 minutes, all spent in the same parkway, I had dug another four silver coins, including a 1936 Mercury dime, and three Rosies (1946, 1949D, and 1956). I also dug a 1941 wheat penny, $1.85 in clad, and an interesting medal/possible keychain. On one side is a cross inside a compass-rose like design. On the reverse is a biblical quote from Jeremiah. I can tell it is not old, but it is testament to how lucky/blessed I was to recover 8 silvers, 1 IHP, and a couple Wheat pennies all from the same parkway. Dad can sure pick the good spots!
Unfortunately, as I was "hitting my stride," a bit of bad luck struck me. After about an hour and a half, my XLT gave me a low battery signal and within 5 minutes had totally pooped out on me. I had left the alkaline battery carriage at home and had neglected to bring my backup Ace 250. I was surprised because before I left the house, I turned on the machine and it displayed a 9.9 volt reading. When it started to die out, it had dropped to 5.3 volts. Go figure. I learned my lesson though. I only need to be burned once. As soon as I got home I threw that battery pack on the charger. I'll be ready to hit it again soon.
Good luck to everyone else. Be safe.
Attachments
Upvote
0







