✅ SOLVED Another mystery to solve

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok you folks helped me I.D. an old meat grinder so here's another mystery to ponder upon:

Found this behind an old 18th century farmhouse which is now a tool museum and park, there are hiking trails behind the manicured property and I found this on the trail between the back stone wall and the "Great White Oak" (it's a big 'ole dead tree stump) park area.

Cleaned it up and found no markings, haven't gone back or been in the buildings of the museum yet but if it's something that maybe dates back to when it was an actual farm I'd like to give back to them.

Any ideas?

DSC00957.JPG DSC00958.JPG DSC00959.JPG DSC00960.JPG

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Base plate to either a door/drawer pull or a small door knocker. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Subchaser

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Goodguy.....was thinkin' it could be a door knocker but still not sold on it yet. I'll have to try and look up what old door/drawer pulls look like.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Goodguy.....was thinkin' it could be a door knocker but still not sold on it yet. I'll have to try and look up what old door/drawer pulls look like.

I could not find a match but there are probably 1,000's of different styles.

Upvote 0

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Yip I concur it is a door Knocker. First thing that came in my mind when i looked at it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Subchaser

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really leaning that way too but been doing all kinds of google searches and haven't found anything that looks similar. If you look closely in the upper left pic you'll see grooves that make that part look like feet and it appears to be worn from where the knockers ring or pull would contact right next them. Also looks like there was something else attached and broke off (right side, same pic). I've seen lots of lions head knockers and pulls but nothing yet that resembles this kind of design.

But thanks for the opinions and guesses, I'll keep looking.

Upvote 0

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
I think finding the exact same design is like pulling a needle out of a hay stack...There must be litterely 1000's upon 1000's of door knockers, and its not against all odds that it is possible a drawer handle part as well.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The slot concerns me. It appears to be a twist/turn attachment point similar to a brake shoe retainer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The slot concerns me. It appears to be a twist/turn attachment point similar to a brake shoe retainer.

Think of a hinge pin going through a hole in the knocker shaft that protrudes through the slot in the base plate to hold the knocker in place and provide a pivot point.

GG~

Crude example.............

DSC00959.JPG DSC00960.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok Here is the Monkey wrench, Have you all thought about it Being a Base From an old Telegraph Pad!! Havent looked yet HH Chug :hello:

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Subchaser

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't appear to have enough screw holes to be a telegraph base and those look brass to me, believe what I have is bronze.

Nice work there Goodguy, I'm still on board with it being either a door knocker or pull for something. I'll try and get over to the tool museum this week and see if there's anything around there that looks like it and keep searching on-line for something similar.

Thanks for all the looks and guesses folks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Subchaser

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean on the underside or there on the edge? If you mean the edge then yes, looks like there was something else attached.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Subchaser

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHHHHH THAT'S IT, THAT'S IT!!! Ok many thanks to Doorguy and Taz :notworthy:....and everybody else of course....this site is awesome!!

But don't get too comfortable, my next what-is-it project is an old carburetor I found.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread