What's new

another newbie question..thanks in advance

bnsfhobo

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oklahoma City
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's M6
At my bank I have the opportunity to have them order from Brinks. Or they will sell me the plastic bags that their machine sorts prior to them shipping out to be rolled. I haven't had much luck with halfs so I was thinking of switching to quarters or dimes.
Any comments appreciated.

Hugh in OKC
 
Upvote 0
Personally, I would keep plugging on the halves....boxes from Brinks and the bags that you mentioned. try both. Those will give you the best results in the long term.

Dimes/Quarters.............Quarters are really tough since they are so commonly used....most silver has already been plucked. Out of the two, I think dimes are your best bet.

Good luck & Happy Holidays......
 
lejeuene said:
Dimes/Quarters.............Quarters are really tough since they are so commonly used....most silver has already been plucked. Out of the two, I think dimes are your best bet.
LJ, you beat me to the best answer.

But, this time of year people may be cashing in their piggy banks to spend on christmas. I would get as many different bags as I could.
 
Depends I think ... what are you looking for? If it is just profit, without a doubt stick with halves, one 90% silver half is like finding five silver dimes. Over the past year my silver ratios have been as follows:

Nickels - .0239 troy ounces per 1K of coins searched
(found 99 War Times in 233,270 nickels)

Dimes - .0332 troy ounces per 1K of coins searched
(found 198 silver Rosies and Mercs, plus 5 80% silver Canadians and 1 50% silver Canadian in 442,102 dimes)

Quarters - .0301 troy ounces per 1K of coins searched
(found 24 silver Washingtons, plus 1 80% silver Canadian and 1 silver Rosies in 151,760 quarters)

Halves - 1.489 troy ounces per 1K of coins searched
(found 84 90% silver halves and 290 40% silver halves in 49,220 half dollars)

If you are looking for stuff for your collection, by all means search every denomination out there and have fun. For me the hunt is a big part of the fun, I can wait for the day I finish my Jefferson or Roosevelt book purely with circulation finds. Keep at it, try different sources.

Brian
 
kestrelia said:
Depends I think ... what are you looking for? If it is just profit, without a doubt stick with halves, one 90% silver half is like finding five silver dimes. Over the past year my silver ratios have been as follows:

Nickels - .0239 troy ounces per 1K of coins searched
(found 99 War Times in 233,270 nickels)

Dimes - .0332 troy ounces per 1K of coins searched
(found 198 silver Rosies and Mercs, plus 5 80% silver Canadians and 1 50% silver Canadian in 442,102 dimes)

Quarters - .0301 troy ounces per 1K of coins searched
(found 24 silver Washingtons, plus 1 80% silver Canadian and 1 silver Rosies in 151,760 quarters)

Halves - 1.489 troy ounces per 1K of coins searched
(found 84 90% silver halves and 290 40% silver halves in 49,220 half dollars)

If you are looking for stuff for your collection, by all means search every denomination out there and have fun. For me the hunt is a big part of the fun, I can wait for the day I finish my Jefferson or Roosevelt book purely with circulation finds. Keep at it, try different sources.

Brian

Just curious, is 1K = 1000 coins or $1000 in coins?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom