A CR hunter with poor form!

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I headed down to my local bank and was surprised to hear that they had a box of half-dollars in the vault that someone ordered and gave back immediately. Being curious, I decided to take it home! I opened it up and the first thing I notice are 4 customer wrapped rolls and a hastily torn-and-taped machine roll. As I went through the entire box, I realized that nearly every single end coin was marked!

I guess the person who ordered it weighed out each roll, only opened the heavier ones, and then sent the rest of them right back to the bank. Poor form to order and dump at the same bank. Also poor form to search by weighing in my opinion, as you'll miss the opportunity to search for errors.

Lastly, I never really understand the purpose of people marking coins when Loomis and Brinks (or essentially every other place, really) basically dump all of the coins together from all over the country, and send them through the wrapping machines again. The chances of you seeing the exact same coin you marked is pretty slim... I have heard stories of people finding a coin they marked, but I highly doubt that's the case.

Upvote 3

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank still will not order coins and when I wanted $100 in quarters last year they threw a fit, so I don't do it anymore.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My bank still will not order coins and when I wanted $100 in quarters last year they threw a fit, so I don't do it anymore.
Up here we're charged a service even for coins.
We had a Bank that wanted to service charge us for taking cash out.
They lost our business account.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a business account also, I closed it.

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I headed down to my local bank and was surprised to hear that they had a box of half-dollars in the vault that someone ordered and gave back immediately. Being curious, I decided to take it home! I opened it up and the first thing I notice are 4 customer wrapped rolls and a hastily torn-and-taped machine roll. As I went through the entire box, I realized that nearly every single end coin was marked!

I guess the person who ordered it weighed out each roll, only opened the heavier ones, and then sent the rest of them right back to the bank. Poor form to order and dump at the same bank. Also poor form to search by weighing in my opinion, as you'll miss the opportunity to search for errors.

Lastly, I never really understand the purpose of people marking coins when Loomis and Brinks (or essentially every other place, really) basically dump all of the coins together from all over the country, and send them through the wrapping machines again. The chances of you seeing the exact same coin you marked is pretty slim... I have heard stories of people finding a coin they marked, but I highly doubt that's the case.
Is a scale sufficiently accurate that weighing is an option?
90% silver = 12.5 grams
40% silver : 11.5 grams
Clad : 11.34 grams

Are we assuming there is no variability in mass (weight) from coin to coin of the same type? Or does that explain the 4 open rolls?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, the closest bank is 8 miles away, and the next closest 13. The mileage and fees they charge to get coins would ruin any potential gains. What's a gain, by the way?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions