Another old Farm Site!!

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
I was going to add this to another thread already posted, but I did not want to 'hijack' someone Else's .. I have not had a lot of experience in where to hunt on an old property.. My Daughter and Son-in-Law just bought a house and 50 acres that was in the previous owners family for 140 years.. As far as I know, it has never been hunted before.. The house has been renovated, but there 'is' an old collapsed barn, two ponds, and a root cellar under the house (the floor has been concreted) They take possession the first week of January, so I don't think I will be digging around much until spring.. however, it 'has' been a very mild winter so far .. As well as the MDing, Locals have shot 8 deer on that property this year, (they seem to yard up there) and it's also crawling with turkeys.. I just KNOW It's gonna be a great year!!! ;D

Upvote 0
GF,

sounds like you got yourself a good site.

Never know what you will find until you
start looking.

140 years in one family, plus 50 acres should give you
something.

Best, when you have the chance hunting it.

have a good un..........

Wow! Congrats on that score. I'm sure you'll find some interesting finds there. Be sure to take your time.

hanjixlt

Moving day is January 5th... I'll give them at least a week to get settled in, before going over the 'scout' the property.. .. I'm as excited as they are ;D

Great opportunity hey? Them Turkeys sure do taste fine. ;)

What a perfect opportunity to take your time and look for all types of treasure. Don't forget to look for the old outhouse holes, the family dump, and caches. These are in addtion to the lost coins, etc. that could be awaiting you. Do a grid and thoroughly search each inch of each portion of the grid. Uh, I'm starting to get excited about YOUR opportunity. It's just that such places are hard to find, and to have it in your family now is making me a bit envious. I'll try to rein myself in, but I'm so anxious for you to get to it. Hurry up spring!!!!!!

Hi GunFarce
Happy New Year to you and yours!
Wow what I would do to search a virgin place in Canada. I can already see those Large Cents and Fish Scales. The areas that I search are from the parking area to the front door and back door. If you can see where the cloths line was check from the back door to the cloths line and for about three or four feet to either side of the cloths line. another place to check is from the back door to where the out house was. If you can find out where the trash pit was draw a strait line from the back door to this spot. If you draw strait lines to each of the out buildings; search along those paths. I would also give the entire yard a going over as push mowers were all that were around in the old days. You just never know where would be the best spot to start but pick one and you will be delighted with the outcome! Happy TH'ing and please let us see what you turn up.
Have fun and do good in all you do.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Well, I had the chance to at least walk the property last weekend.. There was no snow here yet, and the temp was about 40F.. Here is a picture taken from the air about 40 years ago. The barn has long since collapsed and all but one of the out buildings is gone, and the one that remains has a pretty good lean on it.. The house has been renovated, and walking out the back door, and going about 20 feet to my left, there were two fresh buck rubs on a couple of sapplings.. I just have to put on my camo,and sit on the back porch ;D

There are some old horse drawn farm machines behind the barn foundation, a hay rake, and a unit that scooped up the hay, and transported it up a chain and wood slat conveyer to the wagon that would be attached to the back.. Once the ground gets soft, (sometime after Turkey season.. or seasoning ::) as the case may be) I will start wih the detector..
This picture is one I have worked on to laser engrave into a wood hanging for their kitchen as a house warming thing...

Attachments

• farm2.jpg
    farm2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 616
Had a chance to look around the old property last weekend, but no chance or time to use the detector.. There are some pretty neat old horse drawn machines.. The size of the tree in the first picture, which is just outside the house (you can see it on the left in the farm pic above) is probably the biggest maple I have ever seen.. The Trunk 'has' to be six feet wide.. Here are a few pics of the stuff around..
The 'last' one is what looks like a cast iron stove of some kind, but it has no venting, other than the top? It's in two pieces, the top half with what looks like a stovepipe attachment, fits over a lip on the bottom half, which resembles a flower pot.. Any one got a guess as to what it is, and what it was used for?

Thats my Son-in-law beside the tree pic below.. I put him there just so you can see a reference to the size of the thing, it's not that apparent in the first pic.

Attachments

• Tree1.jpg
    Tree1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 489
  • Tree2.jpg
    Tree2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 469
  • wag1.jpg
    wag1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 461
  • HayPickr.jpg
    HayPickr.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 470
  • Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 473
That's a big tree! The stove looks like a two burner for a small cabin. It's really cute, I'd clean it up and use it somewhere. The farm equipment is in remarkably good condition considering its been outdoors for decades. Did farmers lose coins in their old wagons like we lose coins in our cars? Nah!

Your picture "wag1" is a manure spreader.

If fuel prices keep increasing, you might want to fix up some of that equipment and get some horses ;)

Wait until you see how much iron stuff you find in the soil. Farmers didn't have many coins, and they sure didn't drop them !!!

You sure can't beat living in the country.

Neat post.

Thanks for all the info and photos.

Keep us posted with what you do find.

Thanks for posting.

have a good un.................
SHERMANVILLE

Just looking at the pic of the tree I'm thinking how many kids crawled around it. may not be a lot of coins, but the relics and history is worth something too.

With scrap iron prices, you could sell off the junk and make a little $$.

Yes, the manure wagon is in great shape.. If my soninlaw dumps some wd40 on the wheels, and gets them rolling, he could clean it up, and get a good buck for it.. The other thing with the big and little wheels was a hay picker..It would pick up the hay or straw with tines at the front, and drop it onto a bed of slats strung between some rolling chain, and moving up, and into a wagon dragging behind.. There is another manure wagon there too, but not in as good a shape the the one in the field.. My daughter told me she seen a big ole Tom turkey in the field beside the house yesterday, the season opened last Wed. so I will be back over there Saturday morning.. It's about 65 miles away from me here, so I will only get a few weekends to hunt.. I'm going to scan the area under the big tree, eagles right, a lot of kids have hung upside down on it .. It's was obviously there long before the farm was. The mud in the top of the little heater/stove/whatever will have dried out, and fallen free, I will wash it out, and see if there are any marks on it..IF it's a stove of some kind, it seems strange there would be no clean out port, you would have to remove the top half and dump it, if coals burned in the bottom half, how did it get air.. weird :-\

Could it be an old smudge pot of some kind?? like they use in the fruit orchards??
Good luck!! with both kinds of hunting!!!!!

Just a bit of an update!!
I have not had a chance to use the detector here 'yet' Turkey season(ing) ends here on May 31.. But Look what I got this morning at 11 am.. Took me 45 minutes to call him across two fields.. He's not big, (17 lbs) But by the time I lugged from the furthest point back on the old farm, he felt like 100 lbs.. ;D

Attachments

• turkey5.jpg
    turkey5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 227

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back