Another old homestead site found in Oklahoma-wedding bands & more!!

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another old homestead site found in Oklahoma-wedding bands & more!!

My daughters and I recently found another old homestead site a couple of miles from the one we've been detecting and decided to go check it out yesterday. My oldest daughter took some pictures of the old foundation. The people who built this place certainly knew what how to plan a house site! It sits on a high bank overlooking a creek and a big bottom(a field). The house was a two room as far as I can tell and there are still a couple of old trees next to it. We haven't found where the barn or outbuildings were--still looking. We started metal detecting where we "think" the back door would have been. The kid smoked me on finds!! She started off with a wedding band :o! It was a ladies ring and says "CHECO"(?) inside--anyone know what that means?? and looks to be gold. She also found an 1898 Barber quarter and a 1913 buffalo nickel. About five feet from where she found the ring, I found a mans wedding band--its just gold plated and very thin. It also has some marks that I've never seen before and any information on these would also be appreciated! These finds are almost sad to me--I have to wonder why the man and woman lost their rings :'(. We also found a pocket knife, an A.J. Tower button(rain slicker)(I have found 2 of these at the other homestead site-this must have been a popular jacket/slicker), 4 brass reed things(?), 15 shotgun shells, a Merry Widows tin, a back off a pocket watch(?), some intricate iron pieces that say Peabody-Stiggleman Co., (maybe an old sewing machine?), and a cast iron foot(stove?). West and southwest of the foundation is a rocky outcropping and while metal detecting this, we started finding pieces of flint and maybe a couple of broken arrowheads. I found a trilobite, too!! At least I think that's what it is?! We'll be going back this week--the weather is supposed to be beautiful and in the 60's--the Oklahoma weather is really crazy right now, but I'm not complaining!! Here are the pictures and also a picture of a flock of wild turkey's we happened upon while driving to the site. Hope you enjoy!!! sandcreek4

Attachments

• P1050170.JPG
    P1050170.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,653
  • P1050315.JPG
    P1050315.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,645
  • P1050319.JPG
    P1050319.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,796
  • P1050320.JPG
    P1050320.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,696
  • P1050322.JPG
    P1050322.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,619
  • P1050312.JPG
    P1050312.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,512
  • P1050314.JPG
    P1050314.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,531
  • P1050203.JPG
    P1050203.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,565
  • P1050293.JPG
    P1050293.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,642
Upvote 0
K

KirkTN

Re: Another old homestead site found in Oklahoma-wedding bands & more!!

Great post. It's good to hear of the kids going with you. My brother john37115 and I both got started in Oklahoma hunting with our Dad back in the 70's. Tell your daughter that's a nice ring and an outstanding barber Qtr.

P.S. Be sure and get some tick spray when the weather gets warm. I got tick fever from one that bit me detecting as a boy out there between Indianola and McAlester.

Treasure the Hunt.

ok oil

Mar 22, 2008

i agree u might have a school house i have found the exact same stuff at my old school house on sand creek. dave

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

"H.M. MEIER, PAT. DEC 27, 1887, this knob has an acorn and oak leaves on it? Any ideas on this?"

Most likely a screw or nut end of a hand saw for wood. Did not look up the maker..

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Great finds you have Sandcreek, I think BB's right about it being a old school.
HH

Desertfox
Where are you in Green Country?

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nice, sent you a PM

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Great finds at a nice site!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll bet there's some bottles around there somewhere...

lostcauses said:
"H.M. MEIER, PAT. DEC 27, 1887, this knob has an acorn and oak leaves on it? Any ideas on this?"
Most likely a screw or nut end of a hand saw for wood. Did not look up the maker..
That Meier disc is interesting. I assumed it was a button. I found a similar shaped disc with the same type of edge and it says "OH YOU" or "ON YOU" and has a picture of a mule. The back shank is missing on mine, any there is a seam line running across the bask. It appears to be one piece cast and is thin. What's on the back of yours?

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkTN said:
Great post. It's good to hear of the kids going with you. My brother john37115 and I both got started in Oklahoma hunting with our Dad back in the 70's. Tell your daughter that's a nice ring and an outstanding barber Qtr.

P.S. Be sure and get some tick spray when the weather gets warm. I got tick fever from one that bit me detecting as a boy out there between Indianola and McAlester.

Treasure the Hunt.
Hey KirkTN-thanks for the comments. We'll be sure to wear tick spray when the weather gets warmer, my brother had tick fever when he rwas little--it was horrible and made him really sick. Have a great evening~~~~sandcreek4
ok oil said:
i agree u might have a school house i have found the exact same stuff at my old school house on sand creek. dave
Thanks Dave, we're going to keep looking and see if we can find the rest of the desk :D! regards~~sandcreek4
lostcauses said:

Thanks for the info--it is a screw on piece for something--I never thought of a hand saw, though! sandcreek4
desertfox said:
Great finds you have Sandcreek, I think BB's right about it being a old school.
HH

Desertfox
Where are you in Green Country?
Hi, Desertfox--I'm up here in the Osage! Thanks for the comments! sandcreek4
kimsdad said:
Great finds at a nice site!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll bet there's some bottles around there somewhere...

lostcauses said:
That Meier disc is interesting. I assumed it was a button. I found a similar shaped disc with the same type of edge and it says "OH YOU" or "ON YOU" and has a picture of a mule. The back shank is missing on mine, any there is a seam line running across the bask. It appears to be one piece cast and is thin. What's on the back of yours?
The Meier thing is a screw on knob of some sort and it doesn't have anything on the back(that I can see-its still soaking), and I think its made of brass. Thanks for the comments, kimsdad! sandcreek4

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahhh--a pencil part. I have yet to find one of those at an old homestead. But schoolhouse sites are full of them.

I have a hunch that there will be some more excellent goodies come out of your site.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

SUPER FINDS. AND A NICE HOMESTEAD SITE. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Ahhh--a pencil part. I have yet to find one of those at an old homestead. But schoolhouse sites are full of them.

I have a hunch that there will be some more excellent goodies come out of your site.

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Thanks BuckleBoy for the comments and help in confirming this a schoolhouse site. Your input is much appreciated! sandcreek4
allen said:
way to go on those nice looking finds...
Thank you allen for the kind comments!! sandcreek4
kdismuke1 said:
SUPER FINDS. AND A NICE HOMESTEAD SITE. :thumbsup:
Thanks kdismuke1!! regards, sandcreek4

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE

Super finds, congrats. I really like that site, more to be found for sure. I have hunted old school sites, but this thread may help me find more there. HH
JDD

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John Deere Digger said:
Super finds, congrats. I really like that site, more to be found for sure. I have hunted old school sites, but this thread may help me find more there. HH
JDD
Thank you for the comments, JDD! This is a GREAT site to share knowledge about metal detecting and the people on here are very helpful. kind regards, sandcreek4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread