N nonbreeder Jr. Member Joined Nov 16, 2019 Messages 31 Reaction score 41 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: Other Nov 21, 2019 #1 I've always thought this box was Russian but maybe someone here has seen one like it before? Silver with "jewels" on it. My gr-gr-gr grandfather travelled to Russia in the late 19th century and I guessed it's from that trip... Anyone seen a box like this?
I've always thought this box was Russian but maybe someone here has seen one like it before? Silver with "jewels" on it. My gr-gr-gr grandfather travelled to Russia in the late 19th century and I guessed it's from that trip... Anyone seen a box like this?
NOLA_Ken Gold Member Joined Jan 4, 2011 Messages 5,221 Reaction score 4,180 Golden Thread 0 Location Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co Detector(s) used several, mostly Garrett Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Nov 21, 2019 #2 No hallmarks on it anywhere? on the rim of the box or the lid maybe/ Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 Gold Member Joined Mar 5, 2010 Messages 7,742 Reaction score 12,709 Golden Thread 0 Location Southwest Georgia Detector(s) used XP Deus, White's DFX Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Nov 21, 2019 #3 It looks like there might be a hallmark on the back. Attachments hallmark.webp 59.4 KB · Views: 82 Upvote 0
ANTIQUARIAN Gold Member 🥇 Charter Member Joined Apr 24, 2010 Messages 13,020 Reaction score 28,179 Golden Thread 1 Location Upper Canada 🇨🇦 🥇 Banner finds 1 Detector(s) used XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot' Primary Interest: Relic Hunting Nov 22, 2019 #4 This piece is very interesting, I also believe that it's old, likely 18th - 19thc. My first thought is that it's a tobacco snuff box. If it were mine, I'd take it to a reputable jeweler for appraisal. Dave Upvote 0
This piece is very interesting, I also believe that it's old, likely 18th - 19thc. My first thought is that it's a tobacco snuff box. If it were mine, I'd take it to a reputable jeweler for appraisal. Dave
N nonbreeder Jr. Member Joined Nov 16, 2019 Messages 31 Reaction score 41 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: Other Nov 22, 2019 Thread Owner #5 fyrffytr1 said: It looks like there might be a hallmark on the back. Click to expand... Holy Toledo! After all this time I never noticed that. It's too small for my magnifier so I'll have to use something more powerful. Thanks Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said: It looks like there might be a hallmark on the back. Click to expand... Holy Toledo! After all this time I never noticed that. It's too small for my magnifier so I'll have to use something more powerful. Thanks
N nonbreeder Jr. Member Joined Nov 16, 2019 Messages 31 Reaction score 41 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: Other Nov 22, 2019 Thread Owner #6 I'll follow that advice and try to find a reputable jeweler. Not many jewelers around my area. Upvote 0
N nonbreeder Jr. Member Joined Nov 16, 2019 Messages 31 Reaction score 41 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: Other Nov 22, 2019 Thread Owner #7 Maybe it is Turkish-Ottoman based on a quick search. Snuff box does appear to be the size. I think the "jewels" are probably glass but might as well ask someone smarter than I. Thanks again. Upvote 0
Maybe it is Turkish-Ottoman based on a quick search. Snuff box does appear to be the size. I think the "jewels" are probably glass but might as well ask someone smarter than I. Thanks again.
Blak bart Platinum Member Joined Jun 6, 2016 Messages 20,198 Reaction score 107,783 Golden Thread 5 Location FL keys 🥇 Banner finds 5 Detector(s) used Mine lab primary fisher secondary Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Nov 22, 2019 #8 I dug one kind of similar a few months ago.mine turned out to be from india. Mine dated to 1920 - 1940s. Yours looks to be higher quality. Congrats !! Upvote 0
I dug one kind of similar a few months ago.mine turned out to be from india. Mine dated to 1920 - 1940s. Yours looks to be higher quality. Congrats !!
M manry Jr. Member Joined Feb 23, 2019 Messages 35 Reaction score 41 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Nov 22, 2019 #9 Awesome Upvote 0