What's new

another one lost to progress

huntress104

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
566
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
This was one of my favorite fields and most consistant producer of artifacts for over 50 years. Unknown to me it was sold a few weeks ago to someone who is not a local resident. He promptly proceeded to clear the field of it's trees as well as it artifacts with a dozer and track hoe. I called the previous owner and he told me he had sold it and the new owner had planned to build a house and a large shop to run his business out of which is a blacktopping business. I called the new owner and asked it I could walk the field to look for arrowheads and he said yes. So I headed up to check it out. It was pretty sad to see nothing left there but very clean ground. The dozer had taken off about a foot or more of the top soil. As you can tell in the pictures there was not much other than dirt left. I was lucky enough to find a few broken pieces and one very nice graver. Even the small flakes of flint were gone.



another lost.webp another lost2.webp another lost4.webp last ones found.webp graver.webp graver2.webp
 
Upvote 0
That is sad to see.... any chance on finding out where the dirt was taken?
 
Get out there as soon as it rains, you'll be able to find more.
 
You might just find your oldest stuff yet.
 
I would find out where the dirt was taken and try to get permission to go through it.
 
That may be quite an opportunity .. could bring water and sifter
 
I hate that for you.I find more and more spots are being lost every year. Makes you sick. They have cracked down bad in my area and are arresting people for just picking up broken pottery sherds on a river. It is almost not worth it anymore. Maybe you can find where they dumped the top soil.
Good luck Huntress.
 
Last edited:
Man that's heartbreaking.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom