What's new

Another Reason To Trust Those Nickels

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight of Common/Modern US Coins (grams)
Quarter – 5.6
Nickel – 5.0
Penny – 2.5
Dime – 2.2

Diameter of Common/Modern US Coins (mm)

Quarter – 24.26mm
Nickel – 21.21mm
Penny – 19.5mm
Dime – 17.91mm

Weight Per-Surface Area of Common Modern US Coins (grams)
Quarter – .2308326 per mm
Nickel – .2357378 per mm
Penny – .1282051 per mm
Dime - .1228364 per mm

Relative Sink Rate of Common/Modern US Coins by Surface Area (Densest First)
Nickel
Quarter
Penny
Dime

The old timers knew what they were talking about, the ability to detect nickels wasn’t simply a matter of its conductive similarity to gold. As can be viewed in the chart above, the ability to find nickels at depths wasn't just a means of insuring that gold would be detected, but this ability to detect nickels also provided a type of measuring stick when in the field. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Pennies 263
Nickles 39
Dimes 129
Quarters 106

This is my coin count since June not many nickels at all
 
As best as I can count them, in the picture I posted there are: (I may have missed one or two here and there?)
Q=14
N=7
D=20
P=27
 
Pennies 263
Nickles 39
Dimes 129
Quarters 106

This is my coin count since June not many nickels at all
I didn't count them but the 45 dollars I cashed in looked like it would have came up real close to your count...judging by the amount of coins I had in each divider.
 
Some oldtimer told me to consetrate on diging nickles to get the gold.
I thought it had to do with density and size.
 
Some oldtimer told me to consetrate on diging nickles to get the gold.
I thought it had to do with density and size.

Density, size, but mainly conductivity.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom