Another Tombac and Maybe an Early Form of Currency???

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Well I got back out on the early site that BuckleBoy and I have been working. Still no coins, but I'm holding out hope. :-\ I did find another tombac button with the loop. AND while trying to recover a small bit of a cut nail, I found a small ball. I thought it was a piece of buck shot at first, but when I waved it across my coil...nothing. :icon_scratch: Upon further investigation, it turned out to be a glass or amber bead. So maybe I found a form of currency. Native Americans were still in the area when this home site was first occupied. Who knows??? :dontknow: I've also included a pic of a button I found on Friday at this site. BuckleBoy says French and I agree. If anyone has any additional info on this button, reply. Thanks!

Attachments

• Bead.JPG
    Bead.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 776
  • Bead2.JPG
    Bead2.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 781
  • Bead 3.JPG
    Bead 3.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 763
  • !1Tombac_Front.JPG
    !1Tombac_Front.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 413
  • !2Back_of_Tombac.JPG
    !2Back_of_Tombac.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 424
  • !3Button_Front.JPG
    !3Button_Front.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 434
  • !4Button_Back.JPG
    !4Button_Back.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 420
Upvote 0

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong, but I think you bead is called a Trade Bead. I have seen Mudslideslim dig some at some of his sites. I think that is what It is.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
coinmaster2db said:
First time I've ever done pics. I obviously did something wrong. :o

They look fine to me... I usually go into my photo editing program, such as MS Office Photo Manager, and compress the photos for the web.

Nice going on the buttons!

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
As I told Buckleboy, you guys will get an early coin at that site. I still have my bets on it being a Spanish silver.

Nice finds, Coinmaster! That trade bead just adds more history to the site.

Kyle

OP
OP
coinmaster2db

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I'm waiting for the property owner to call me now. He has to see if his Grandson is hunting this evening. I thought I'd found the elusive coin yesterday. I had a great signal. Solid in both directions, between 77 and 81 VDI. I got the camera out and took some video of me scanning the spot and then I turned off the camera to recover what I just knew had to be a flowing hair copper ::) ......It was a freakin' piece of aluminum. It looked like the cover for a fluorescent light starter. I have no idea how that got back there. Needless to say, I didn't finish the movie. It would have been a bigger "let down" than Highlander 2! :laughing9: It has been so cool hunting this site. I've been on old sites, but even sites that you get from a late 1800's plat map usually have a bunch of trash. This site doesn't even have any of those pesky suspender clips, or annoying barber quarters. :D

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
coinmaster2db said:
I'm waiting for the property owner to call me now. He has to see if his Grandson is hunting this evening. I thought I'd found the elusive coin yesterday. I had a great signal. Solid in both directions, between 77 and 81 VDI. I got the camera out and took some video of me scanning the spot and then I turned off the camera to recover what I just knew had to be a flowing hair copper ::) ......It was a freakin' piece of aluminum. It looked like the cover for a fluorescent light starter. I have no idea how that got back there. Needless to say, I didn't finish the movie. It would have been a bigger "let down" than Highlander 2! :laughing9: It has been so cool hunting this site. I've been on old sites, but even sites that you get from a late 1800's plat map usually have a bunch of trash. This site doesn't even have any of those pesky suspender clips, or annoying barber quarters. :D
That bead would be like a needle in a haystack. It's cool that you managed to find it. :thumbsup: I agree about Highlander 2. Highlander 1 is a great movie.
Chris

OP
OP
coinmaster2db

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Never got the call back from the property owner. :icon_scratch: I'm hoping he just forgot. I didn't want to call him and be a pest. He's been very cool thus far, so I don't want to rock the boat.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
That bead is a very good find. From what I see, it's made from stone-not glass. Those are always very unique. Translucent shot?
Newt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that makes 37 buttons, musketballs, and a thimble yet unfortunately no coins from the site. :'(

Newt said:
That bead is a very good find. From what I see, it's made from stone-not glass. Those are always very unique. Translucent shot?
Newt

Yes. Please post a translucent photo of the bead! And please call in sick to work tommorow!! ;D We've got some hunting to do.

OP
OP
coinmaster2db

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Here's a couple more pics of the trade bead. It's either glass or amber. I'm leaning towards amber. I took a pic of it illuminated. :sign13: Sorry it's out of focus a little, but if I used the flash, you couldn't tell it was illuminated.

Attachments

• CIMG1465.JPG
    CIMG1465.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 279
  • CIMG1466.JPG
    CIMG1466.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 269

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread