Another trip out to the 1850s farm lot, Welcome Lionhrt to the barber club!!!

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
Another trip out to the 1850's farm lot, Welcome Lionhrt to the barber club!!!

Got back out to the farm lot again after a couple of weeks away. If you recall, 9VOLT and myself hit this lot and pulled 3 silver mercs within like 50 minutes. It was sooooo cold and cause of family stuff we had to cut it short. In the mean time 9volt has been doing some research on the place and found out really great information.

Well the 2 week wait till I could come back down there almost tore us up. I had the pleasure of meeting 9volt's wife when they came to pick me up Sat. morning around 11:30am. We were so excited to get back into that place.

Let me set this up, super quite(very little trash), finds range about 4-8 inches, soil plugs come out easy, no one around, very little new stuff (2 clads in 2 hunts) and acreage to search!!! We could run our machines almost max sens. with no problems. I guess the only problem was that I forgot my darn digger!!! Without a back up 9volt gave me his digger, drove into town a bought me one. When he got back he gave me this...
DSCN1685.jpg
:D :D :Dlittle MD humor in all of us, I said heck it's still better than diggin with my hands!!!! Then he gave me this digger...
DSCN1686.jpg
That was more like it!!! Fiskars $9.99, he even bought one for himself as they look pretty sturdy, thank god he did, 2nd plug busted the handle off!!! >:( :'( Not exactly a Lesche if you know what I mean. ;) As luck would have it 9volt's wife dug a garden trowel out at 6in. It was in pretty bad condition, but what are the odds??? Next we will pull out a used metal detector!!!!!!

My finds, drum roll please!!!!! WELCOME TO THE BARBER CLUB LIONHRT!!!! ;D I was shaking so bad after this beaut! Only 4.5 inches down :o, I learned something this weekend!!! They dont all have to be real deep! ;)
DSCN1677.jpg
DSCN1682.jpg

This is the bulk of my other finds, not including a clad dime. 3 wheats, 1920, 1925, 1942, a silver plated spoon, an cool old pocket knife (6in down). Any info on the knife including cleaning it would be helpful thanks. Looks like a shoe buckle and 2 buttons.
DSCN1676.jpg
DSCN1678.jpg
DSCN1679.jpg
DSCN1681.jpg
DSCN1680.jpg
DSCN1683.jpg
What a beautiful day, we hunted for 5 or so hours. Only silver pulled, we know there are more in there!! I think 2-3 more wheats came out, another spoon or so, and a costume ring. Thanks to 9volt and his wife for an excellent hunt, thanks to TNet for giving me the opportunity to meet these folks and fine hunters!!! Could not have asked for a better hunt, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this hobby!!! Now I need to graduate into the Indian field!!!!

Upvote 0
Re: Another trip out to the 1850's farm lot, Welcome Lionhrt to the barber club!

Nice finds...like the penny...good shape..any other finds on the property?

49er

Re: Another trip out to the 1850's farm lot, Welcome Lionhrt to the barber club!!!

You've got some great finds there, love the Barber. Congrats!!

kenb

Re: Another trip out to the 1850's farm lot, Welcome Lionhrt to the barber club!!!

GREAT STORY.

Re: Another trip out to the 1850's farm lot, Welcome Lionhrt to the barber club!

49er said:
Nice finds...like the penny...good shape..any other finds on the property?

49er

Funny you say that, the hunt started with 9volt pullin out a wheatie at I think 8in. I stopped as we were sweeping next to each other and he revealed the date, 1909!!!!!!!! We both came over to where he was at and wondered!!! COULD IT BE?? No S, no VDB but none the less it had a real deep green patina like an Indian.

Other than that our last hunt netted 3 silver dimes and some wheats, this hunt 1 silver and 5-7 wheats. I dug an iron circle thing, about 4in diameter looked like a horse bridle something or other, 9volts wife dug a piece of old chain also. Some other stuff that doesnt come to mind. Thanks for looking!

;D ;D ;D ;D nice dime !! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nick Papageorgio said:
What??? 9volt did'nt take you out to lunch too... ;) :D ;D
Heck as nice and hospitable as he is, he might as well put that silver in my pocket!! Heck of a guy!!

Thanks for looking!

hey there lionhrt welcomt to the barber club ... been a long time coming for i know... but now that it has barbers will be like finding clad pennies...seems the pesky things are everywhere ;D... it was a real pleasure to hunt with you again as always ;D ;D now i guess its time you went after the seated coins...but this time dont skunk me on the silver hahaha maybe save me at least a rosie or somethin. ::) :P ;D ;D ;D great job man ...keep the coil to the soil ...until next time..

9volt

Yeah, that is a good story. :) My son is good at destroying digging tools. :D

Welcome to the club! It's exciting to find your first barber. They never were my favorite coin but they are growing on me. Especially if they are even in VG condition.

Bob

very nice find :),some day i'll make the barber club i hope!

Attachments

• banghead.gif
    banghead.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 488

tenbears said:
very nice find :),some day i'll make the barber club i hope!
Ditto....Congrat's and HH!!

Still working on finding my first Barber anything! Good finds.

Ian

Congrats! I hope to join that club real soon.

I thank all of you for the support, without you im still in the MD manual reading everyone else's posts. :-\ I really didnt think that it was possible to recover American history the way I have seen on the posts. :o It really takes quite a bit of knowledge and skill for you guys and gals to go out and find these sort of things. I am really just tickled to be among you all. :-*

It really is not luck to put your coil over something that is 150+ years old! :P So as always, im in debit to all of you TNeters out there that took the time to teach me (some of you by hand!!!). :) Now im after the 1900's barrier!!!!!! and more! ;)

Congrats, Thats a great looking coin

Great finds. I am still looking for my first Barber.What a thrill that must have been. H.H.

Welcome to the club !! My first one was a dime too, Really worn. Just try to keep the fever down by digging more !!

Attachments

• first half 02.jpg
    first half 02.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 281
  • first half 02.jpg
    first half 02.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 285

hey lionhrt was good to talk to ya on the phone tonight and thanks for the info on why we couldnt hunt the side yard....it makes since now ;D ;D

Lionhart,
That is one pretty dime.
I have not found one of them yet.
It's on my list and I predict this year will be the year that I find one and a lot of other coins as well.
Awsome. Just Awsome!!!

Hey Lion, congrats!!!! Glad to here you are being able to get out and hunt. The job that never ends is still keeping me at bay. Just another month and maybe we can get together again. TMAN...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back