Another Trip to the Soccer Park Ends With a Specteral Challenge!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Dear Diary:
Who are all these people? Oh Yeah.. never mind, it's the gang from TreasureNet.

Hello again everyone. Day four of my "staycation" and it rained today. *sigh* ".. the best laid plans of mice and men.." Oh well, I got to sleep in a bit longer, and lounge around the house and watch a movie with my better half. I had originally planned on going back to the soccer complex in the nearby town of Versailles Kentucky to do some more metal detecting. That park has really produced for me in the past couple of months. Yesterday was a good example. Today, however, dawned dark cloudy and very humid (raining). So, I rolled back over and went back to sleep, for a while. After making breakfast for my wife and I, I read the paper and we watched a movie. Lunchtime rolled around and it was still cloudy and overcast, but it wasn't raining anymore.. still very very wet though. I'm not complaining, much, because we really needed the rain around here. By 4:00 this evening while still not sun shiny or bright out, the roads had dried off and the grass was no more damp than after a heavy morning dew. So.. I jumped in my truck and headed to the soccer park! YEEEHAAAA!!!
My wife had a dinner to attend with her volunteer organization, so it wasn't like I was leaving her sitting at home with nothing to do while I went out and played. I guess I could have gone to the dinner as well, but when it was planned, I was still supposed to be working this week and wasn't going to be able to attend anyway. Besides.. it's a semi formal event, and I HATE dressing up.. for ANYTHING! <grin>
When I got to the park, it was after 4:30 and with the overcast I knew it would be getting dark earlier than usual tonight.. I'd be lucky if there was any daylight left by 6:00 PM. What I hadn't counted on was soccer practice. I guess a little drizzle and rain soaked grass doesn't deter most teams from practicing. I was well into hunting one field at the far end of the park when cars started showing up and dropping off kids for practice. Before too long I realized that I was going to have to move to the sidelines and/or go to another field. So, I did. And so did the rain. Well, a light drizzle really. That *DID* send a lot of kids back to their cars and at least one team called off practice, but others were still showing up. *sigh* So, with the light fading quickly and my detector beginning to drip water.. not to mention my clothes beginning to get sodden, I headed for my truck and called it a day.
It was a very short hunt, but a good hunt all the same. I found a little over $4.00 in clad, a watch!, some lost cleats from someones shoes, and a challenge coin! WOOOHOOO!!!! This bugger is BIG! I cleaned it up when I got home and even went on line and found a site that sells them. They go for $10.00 each. The site on line shows one face with a place to engrave a name or unit on it, this coin that I found doesn't have anything engraved in its "box" though. Still though, it's a cool find I thought.
No silver today, no bling, just that one big honkin' coin and a pocket full of clad.. oh and the dead watch. Still though, for a hunt that lasted a little over an hour, that ain't bad.. not bad at all!
Here's the pics.. Check out that Challenge Coin!

10-16-08 001everything.jpg

10-16-08 006watch.jpg

10-16-08 009spect comp.JPG

I'm not sure what the coin is made from, but it's heavy. The website that I found it under doesn't detail the make up of the coin either. I'll have to do some more digging. Heh heh.. no pun intended. I hope this persistant precipitation moves on over the night.. I'd like to get out and do some more hunting tomorrow if possible. Tonight's hunt was just a teaser!

As always..

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Upvote 0

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
That's a lot of nice finds for a short hunt ! :thumbsup:

I've never seen one of those challenge coins before, but now I gotta find one, lol.
Hope the weather gets better for you!
Mike

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The watch isn't very "water resistant" now is it? haha. Nice pile.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
DD-777 said:
Nice digs Fro' but that coin is killer!!! It was more than likely lost by a crewman I would think... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That was my thought exactly.. but after visiting the web site that sells them, I noticed that the little box on my coin was NOT engraved with a name or unit number/name. That leads me to believe that it was perhaps a gift for someone or maybe even someone just bought it off the internet because they thought it was cool. <shrug> either way, I think it's pretty cool. And HEAVY.. one edge of my coin is nicked and it looks to be a yellow metal, but I seriously doubt that it's got any gold in it. I'd like to find out what it's made of all the same. <shrug> Thanks for looking!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Could be bronze :icon_scratch: I found an NRA Springfield rifle token that was heavy like that. Sweet digs as always you rule the soccer fields :icon_king:

Acevillav

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin you have there is PROBABLY from someone who was a crew member on an AC 130 Spectre Gunship. They were used alot in the Vietnam era. I am sure they are still used today as well. I tell you what I will buy it from you if you have paypal. I would love to give that to my Uncle. An Ac 130 saved his butt back in Nam and that would make a great Christmas gift for him. If you want to sell it Pm me. I have paypal. I will also do some research for you and try and see if we can narrow the coin down.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I love that quote on the back of your challenge coin:

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War."

True and sad....

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
af1733 said:
I love that quote on the back of your challenge coin:

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War."

True and sad....

Yes it is sad. And it is the truth as well. Such is the predicament that we call life, on this third rock from the sun.

Frodov

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorus is made by Seiko. I used to by and sell watches years ago. That token you
found is crazy cool!

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Ramapirate said:
Lorus is made by Seiko. I used to by and sell watches years ago. That token you
found is crazy cool!

HH,
Ramapirate

I went to a few Lorus web sites looking for this particular model watch to see what it might have cost new.. but I couldn't find this model listed anywhere. At least by visual refference anyway. Any idea if it is a discontinued model or a cheaper line or something?

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread