What's new

Another war nickel

2moshers

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2014
Messages
596
Reaction score
2,954
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pemberton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very short hunt in a neighbors yard yielded a silver Jefferson war nickel (1945), a 1940 wheat cent, a 1966 Washington quarter, an LC 64 rifle shell, and a small item I could use some help identifying. 003.webp009.webp
 
Upvote 12
Congrats on the O.D.
Not sure to what it is you have found.
Looks like a fish symbol. What kind of metal is it made of?
 
Cool digs. The rifle shell is a blank training round. I believe the unknown item may be part of an old catholic holy water bottle stopper. See the example below.

$T2eC16VHJIkE9qU3kIs)BRkYhStEQg~~60_35.webp
 
War nickles are cool! Nice work.
 
It appears to be made of steel with still some silver or chrome like finish left on it against the wind. The top (small handle) is flat. The top of the bottle stopper in your pic Loco appears to be rounded-if that makes any difference? Also is some lettering on what is left of the round underside. 3 letters I can make out are PAT. of course for patented.001.webp003.webp
 
Last edited:
Cool digs. The rifle shell is a blank training round. I believe the unknown item may be part of an old catholic holy water bottle stopper. See the example below.

View attachment 1245948

Great ID's LOCO.
I thought the Shell was a Blank, Does the 64 stand for the year it was made & I assume LC is Lake City (Arsenal).
Stopper looks about right also.
 
Nice finds OP.
Got Me a 1945 P "OD" Nickle out of the Coin Star yesterday . (Would rather have dug it) .
Been over a year since I dug one.
Wanted to see what VDI it would come up on my XLT ---I was in the Garage 'So maybe a little Interference , but not much. ' It Rang up 26-27 VDI ,Heck Regular Nickles give a pretty solid 21, thought it would be higher ???
 
The shell looks like a .308, 7.62mm, Army BLANK. It also looks like it is a live round. Is there a firing pin mark/indention on the primer?
Marvin
 
Is a spent round and has been fired GA Boy. The 64 is the year made and Lake City Arsenal, Independence, Missouri is correct Davers.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom