Antebellum Silver Ring, 3 Seateds and a Civil War Pelican!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out for a marathon two-day dig with Shanegalang and DiggerGirl. We'd been covered up with work and not had a chance to do what we love in way too long, so we finally got out to play in the dirt. :headbang:

Here's the video of the hunt:

Day one was really slow for hours until I walked up on a Russian Blue trade bead poking out of the dirt:

HPIM5313.JPG IMG_0668.JPG

Then things started to heat up, as we began to make finds. I saw a complete pocket watch where it had washed out (farmer dropped).

HPIM5321.JPG

Then, walking way away from where we were finding, I got in a patch of outlying finds, and was stoked when I saw a two-piece button come up. I said a little prayer hoping for it to be military and turned it over. Sure enough, it was a CW Louisiana Pelican button!

HPIM5317.JPG HPIM5318.JPG

Then at the end of the day, DG came up to me excitedly. She'd just dug half of an antebellum silver "twin hearts" ring! That is a great find!

On day two, DG and I slept in a bit, and when we got to the site, Old Shangalangalangalang had already dug himself a nice handful of finds, including a dropped three-ringer, 1887 Seated Dime, and some other nice bits. Well, DG and I got right to work!

Eventually I got a dropped Burnside bullet that had been carved. Shang and I both dug nickels, but I won the nickel contest with a worn Shield Nickel and he had to settle for a Beefalo. :D Eventually I got a nice brass button reading and to my surprise out popped a half dime! The coin was really worn and holed, but sure enough it was an 1860 Seated Half Dime!

HPIM5325.JPG

Then not 20 minutes later, Shangalang answered with a beautiful 1853 With Arrows Seated Half Dime! And I mean BEAUTIFUL.

HPIM5333.JPG

I got a real shock when I dug a hole about an hour later and out popped GOLD!

HPIM5328.JPG

I was SO convinced when I got down on my knees to look closely, that I'd have just about bet my F75 on it being gold. But it was a thick plated piece of jewelry of some sort.

The day ended nicely with DG digging a figural horse-head shaped spur!

IMG_0672.JPG

Here are the finds photos:

IMG_2158.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0666.JPG IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG IMG_2160.JPG IMG_2165.JPG

Happy Hunting,

The CaneField Bandits

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 29

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys certainly had a great 2 day dig there…Nothing wrong with those at all with lots of targets to keep you busy…Hope the rest of the fall is just as productive!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys certainly had a great 2 day dig there…Nothing wrong with those at all with lots of targets to keep you busy…Hope the rest of the fall is just as productive!

You and me both. Thanks for your reply, Patriot!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on a great hunt! Now send some of them honey holds north into MS!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post. Great hunt. We will do it again soon ;) That jewelry that was plated gold has cool gems on it. I like it a lot. I was surprised when you dug the 72 signal that wasn't a coin..the buckle? You didn't recheck the hole.....or at least didn't film it lol Now I'm wondering if there was a coin there??? ................Shane go lang go lantern :)

I rechecked, most certainly. Thought that buckle rang high, but it did because of the hollowness of it.

Let's dig again soon, buddy!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must be cooling off down south... :) Good to see the posts coming from you and your crew, Buckleboy. You all definitely had a great hunt and earned some nice relics at that site!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must be cooling off down south... :) Good to see the posts coming from you and your crew, Buckleboy. You all definitely had a great hunt and earned some nice relics at that site!

Thanks so much for your reply my friend. It's in the mid 80s now. Fall weather ;)

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super hunt and nice video!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much everyone for your kind replies, and happy harvest to all!

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions