Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been all around this reservoir in South Park but never right to it. I'm really interested in looking at something down there so decided I would camp there. Day started out good and about two miles from the truck the rains came. Not much of a problem but then the wind came up. This is flat open country with nothing to block the wind and I could barely stand up. Not even an old buffalo wallow to lie down in and wait it out. So I relocated about 10 miles north of 285 towards Weston Pass. Two security guards in the middle of the road stopped me from getting to my favorite spot. Better views and more shelter. Of course it rained during the night, which turned to sleet, which froze on everything, with lightning thrown in, but temps stayed above 30, and absolutely nobody around in that part of the country. Yet.

Attachments

• 5-6a.jpg
    5-6a.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 5-6c.jpg
    5-6c.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 5-6d.jpg
    5-6d.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 5-6e.jpg
    5-6e.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 5-6f.jpg
    5-6f.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 48

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds cool to me, typical Spring day here in Michigan. We go from 40 to 80 degrees over night!

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5-6b.jpg And here's the Antero campground on the south side of the lake. Mostly just boaters out, who wound up getting off the lake anyway they could. Trees can't grow here, and not much of anything else, but ground squirrels thrive. Lots of birds, and a couple I had no idea what they were. I still miss the wide open spaces, but this is probably a good place if you have an RV and a boat. Plus, it's absolutely free.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long ago me and two other buddies went fishing in a little 8' Ted Willaims boat out on that lake. Same dang weather you had came along and we headed to the shore. The wind made that little outboard 3 hp motor really struggle to get off the water. As the waves crashed onto boat the that splashing water started freezing all around the boat and that got me pretty worried that we might sink, but we made it wet, weary and freezing cold. It's good place to fish and last time I swung by there it seems a lot of anglers have discovered that since the days I'd go fishing there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, another 3 weeks and we'll be over run with humanity. They drained Antero some time back and I really wanted to get in then and look it over but couldn't make it. Trout limit is 2 and fishing is supposed to be ok but not at the level it was 10 or 12 years ago. I'm not interested in fishing it but did want to look the shoreline over around the lake. I may go down next week and go in on the north side day use area and walk out the north, west, and southwest corner of the lake.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are interesting things to be found along the shores of Antero. You ever read this book?

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I got the newer revised edition by Virginia McConnell Simmons. (Guess she got married)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful country! :occasion14:

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure love that area, it saw a lot of history with the salt works so close. I think we will see it pretty low again in our lifetime. Sure is a good time to be out. Pulled a lot of fish out of 11mile this winter. Weston pass is one of my favorites. I remember waking up to a blanket of snow up on top of the pass one morning! I need to get the family back up there! Great pictures!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when the salt works still had the brick chimney still standing. That book I posted mentioned when it was built I believe in 1869, but I don't have that book anymore. I was told it collapsed from more than a hundred years of cattle rubbing and scratching themselves up against the base of it. They wore it down so thin it finally fell down. I kind of wish they'd take all the bricks put it back up. Another thing that went away was the giant bucket line dredge that would sit idle outside of Fairplay. I heard it went to South America and put to work a few decades ago I guess it would be now. I believe I read a story of a cowboy finding a Spanish helmet wedged into some rocks out in South Park back sometime ago. The old fur trappers knew of South Park, long before it was settled and John C Fremont also witnessed and reported of a tribal battle that took place as his expedition traveled through there. I always wonder what else is undiscovered in all that land when I drive through it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread