Antique Automobile Emblem

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went on a short hunt today at the vacant lot close to my house that I have been hunting lately. I found a few clad coins and a lot of junk. I got a very deep signal on the CZ5 and the depth meter was pegged. I immediately thought it was a deep can but something just sounded different and it was showing coin on the display. I decided to dig it and I was glad I did. I dug a really deep plug and dug down about 10 inches. I checked the plug and had nothing so I got out the Propointer. I got a good signal in the bottom of the hole so I dug down with the Lesche and realized that I hit something solid a couple inches down. I pryed up a disc from the bottom of the deep plug and didn't have a clue what it was. I brushed it off and found the Chalmers Motor Company Emblem. After doing some research I found out that they made Roadsters from 1908 to 1923. Here is a photo of the emblem my guess it came from a hood ornament. It was already damaged but looks like I dinged it with the Lesche to give it a little more character.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool. that's a rare one

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool and unusual find. :hello2: I wonder if that is the same "Chalmers" as Allis-Chalmers? :dontknow:
Congrats,
MM

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool and unusual find. :hello2: I wonder if that is the same "Chalmers" as Allis-Chalmers? :dontknow:
Congrats,
MM

I don't think so. This automobile company merged with the Maxwell Automobile Co. in the 1920's
Pesc

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think so. This automobile company merged with the Maxwell Automobile Co. in the 1920's
Pesc

Thanks for that info.
A few years back I dug a similar round piece but it was from a "Kissel Kar" which I had never heard of either. Turned out to be from the early 1900's (1906-1930) Kissel Motor Car Co. in Wisconsin. Fortunately it was made out of metal and not cheese. :tongue3:
-MM-

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey pescadore,

I saw your post earlier and see that you fixed the photo.

chalmerslogoImage001.gif

I enjoyed reading a bit about Hugh Chalmers and his various moves from NCR to Chrysler. Detroit automotive history has so many dovetails. The Chalmers Award in baseball history is the precursor of the present MVP Award.

Ty-Cobb-and-Nap-Lajoie-in-1910-Chalmers-30-700x563.jpg

"Nap Lajoie and Ty Cobb in Chalmers 36s at Tigers Park, 1911" Lost & Found: Ty Cobb?s Chalmers | Hemmings Daily

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It made me think of Captain America's shield cool find.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! I love it when I see things from Detroit, that people dig up! Totally cool. Happy Hunting!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's a radiator emblem.
Here's some history of the company:
In 1907 Hugh Chalmers, the president of the National Cash Register Company, became a partner in a firm producing the Thomas-Detroit automobile. Within a year, Chalmers had bought half of E.R. Thomas's stock and became president of the company, which he renamed the Chalmers-Detroit Motor Company. Chalmers produced very popular cars, with production rates hitting 20,000 units in 1915, but by the 1920s the auto industry was facing financial difficulties due to over-expansion and recession. In 1922 Chalmers was taken over by Maxwell, a former competitor that had become a Chrysler subsidiary.
Don....

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a radiator emblem.
Here's some history of the company:
In 1907 Hugh Chalmers, the president of the National Cash Register Company, became a partner in a firm producing the Thomas-Detroit automobile. Within a year, Chalmers had bought half of E.R. Thomas's stock and became president of the company, which he renamed the Chalmers-Detroit Motor Company. Chalmers produced very popular cars, with production rates hitting 20,000 units in 1915, but by the 1920s the auto industry was facing financial difficulties due to over-expansion and recession. In 1922 Chalmers was taken over by Maxwell, a former competitor that had become a Chrysler subsidiary.
Don....

Thanks for the Info !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread