Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any information Greatly Appreciated
Frame size 24x28 .Is the male in portrait an Historical figure.
Is this type of Antique portrait of any value
Thank You
Great stache...he could have entered a contest...is there any identifying marks on the portrait? Maybe on the back? Important thing is if you like it... someone on here may be able to tell you more...

OP
OP
B

Bill Wonders

Jul 27, 2023
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stache...he could have entered a contest...is there any identifying marks on the portrait? Maybe on the back? Important thing is if you like it... someone on here may be able to tell you more...
Hi Yes I noticed the frame and antique feel with mustache and bought it quickly fast at a
flea.market .There is no identifying marks on the back of frame.
The frame or face maybe the style of clothes some one here is familiar with..
Thank You

Attachments

• suit.gif
    suit.gif
    744.8 KB · Views: 9

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked last night a bit. But i think you are going to have a hard time. Without the artist's name or subject's name or any writing on back or on frame. That was the style for Men's facial hair in the late 19th century. So almost all portraits of men will have similar mustaches. At least you can narrow the time period down.

1880s–1910s – from bushman to man about town​

A more clean-shaven look was in fashion from about the 1880s. Mustaches came into their own. The shaggy ‘walrus’ style had the hair droop luxuriously over the lip, but other styles demanded a lot of care. The ‘Imperial’ – modeled by European royalty at the end of the century – required men (and their barbers) to shave and brush the hair up the cheek.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the auction and antiques world, these are known as "instant ancestors"...portraits of unknown people that some buy to hang on their walls, like a portrait of a long-ago relative.

OP
OP
B

Bill Wonders

Jul 27, 2023
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the auction and antiques world, these are known as "instant ancestors"...portraits of unknown people that some buy to hang on their walls, like a portrait of a long-ago relative.
Hi Thank You for your information Would this type portrait and frame be considered in an auction?

Attachments

• Ft.jpg
    Ft.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
B

Bill Wonders

Jul 27, 2023
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked last night a bit. But i think you are going to have a hard time. Without the artist's name or subject's name or any writing on back or on frame. That was the style for Men's facial hair in the late 19th century. So almost all portraits of men will have similar mustaches. At least you can narrow the time period down.

A more clean-shaven look was in fashion from about the 1880s. Mustaches came into their own. The shaggy ‘walrus’ style had the hair droop luxuriously over the lip, but other styles demanded a lot of care. The ‘Imperial’ – modeled by European royalty at the end of the century – required men (and their barbers) to shave and brush the hair up the cheek.
The portrait and frame is possibly from

possibly the late 1800's Thank You for the information...

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Thank You for your information Would this type portrait and frame be considered in an auction?
They're sold at local auctions all the time--I've watched hundreds sell over the years. The term "instant ancestors" is used by the auctioneers as a way to hopefully give a lighthearted incentive for people to bid. Unfortunately, they usually don't sell for more than the frame they're in would sell for with nothing in it. Larger auction houses have no interest in these unless the subject is documented as someone with historical significance.

OP
OP
B

Bill Wonders

Jul 27, 2023
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're sold at local auctions all the time--I've watched hundreds sell over the years. The term "instant ancestors" is used by the auctioneers as a way to hopefully give a lighthearted incentive for people to bid. Unfortunately, they usually don't sell for more than the frame they're in would sell for with nothing in it. Larger auction houses have no interest in these unless the subject is documented as someone with historical significance.
Thank You for your information ...so it is possible the frame is worth ...I notice'
frames from 1800' similar patterns as this frame are priced in the high end thousands?

Attachments

• Ft.jpg
    Ft.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 9

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't comment on what sellers ask for these typical frames since asking prices and selling prices can be drastically far apart.

Unfortunately there's nothing special about yours, and Victorian-era antiques in general have been difficult to sell in the past decade and a half as the older generation who original drove the prices very high have all but died off now. But they rarely sell for more than a few tens of dollars, to a couple hundred at the high end, in a large antique shop. At local auctions they often don't even get a $10 bid.

OP
OP
B

Bill Wonders

Jul 27, 2023
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You.I feel the picture and frame was a nice find me not an expert...
I was told not worth much? I like the time piece great.....
Unfortunately there's nothing special about yours, and Victorian-era antiques in general have been difficult to sell in the past decade and a half as the older generation who original drove the prices very high have all but died off now. But they rarely sell for more than a few tens of dollars, to a couple hundred at the high end, in a large antique shop. At local auctions they often don't even get a $10 bid....Emil W

Attachments

• Ft.jpg
    Ft.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 3

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like the back is tacked to the frame. The photo is inside the back. Sometimes people wrote on the back of the photo itself before it was mounted in the frame.

OP
OP
B

Bill Wonders

Jul 27, 2023
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the back is tacked to the frame. The photo is inside the back. Sometimes people wrote on the back of the photo itself before it was mounted in the frame.
Hi I will check Thank You for advise

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread