Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 1
Hi all,
Garrett Apex or XP ORX?
I know these are two very different detectors, but I have an opportunity to buy either for the same price. Both are slightly used and in great shape. I would use them for general hunting in midwestern/great lake area soil. Coins, relics or whatever I can find. Any thoughts or ideas? Please let me know!
Thanks!

Neither. In that price range, I'd get a Legend, or maybe a Vanquish. In a higher price range, I'd get a Equinox 900 or a Manticore.

If you want used, go with the ORX, I had an apex and it would not find the penny that was in plain site.
But for the same money Cuda was right buy the Legend, you cant go wrong and will get the 3 year warranty.

I've owned the Deus,ORX,APEX and many others, still have and use the Legend, Manicore.

I don't have the ORX. I do have the APEX. A couple months ago I was trying to decide between the DEUS 2 and the ORX, so I did some research on both. I would recommend the ORX over the APEX. I have had a different experience with the APEX than bc5391. Mine would find a penny; in fact, I just found a jingle bell a few days ago with the APEX. But, for the same price, I think the ORX would give you more bang for the buck. Good luck!

Without knowing the price for the Apex or Orx you can get used. As others mentioned, you can't go wrong with a Legend. Solid machine.

The orx will do any park as good as any ,and will find small fine gold flakes prospecting, easy but not very adjustable like the deus 2 or the deus , even the 9.5 hf coil works very good in parks not as deep as the 11” but u can’t hunt gold as good as the 9”hf , my deus 2 works as good as my Ctx-3030 did.and realy at this level they all do about the same .it‘s u ,can u get to be one with your machine. Sometimes the old saying keep it simple stupid really works.for some adjusting every aspect of every noise of every tone is what they look for some people just wanna turn on and go orx turn on and go.I did a side yard with the deus 2 that I did with the orx one month ago ,only got one nickle so the orx did good I got 1938 dog tags and 1941 dime and a v nickle . It clean that yard as good as the deus 2 ?
ford ,chevy, which one sounds better in your ear and more comfortable to hold it’s probably the way to look at it. At 1.5lbs orx is easy controller on my front pocket it’s like 1 lb lol something like that.after years on the beaches or a 5 hour hunt at 62 lite is king ,sound next ,no f—- wires , good digging tools..so the deus 2 and the orx are what I picked ,the orx is a gold hunting beast in north idaho,I like dicking around with programs so the deus 2 , think the ctx3030 wins at the beach butt and it’s a big butt I’ve never been neck deep in the ocean with the deus 2 .

Keep in mind that the ORX and Apex are not waterproof. The coils are, but, the control box is not. Also, the ORX is selectable multi-frequency, not true simultaneous multi-frequency that the Apex (and most Minelabs) have. This means you have to try each frequency to see which one is going to work best for your situation. Most times it's a compromise. You have to give up something to get something else. Even with SMF detectors you may have to do that, but, it's less of an issue. In this case, the Apex has a slight edge in salt sand/water, but, IMO, not enough to choose it over the ORX, or better yet, for about the same price, get the Legend and you won't have to deal with that.

Hi all,
Garrett Apex or XP ORX?
I know these are two very different detectors, but I have an opportunity to buy either for the same price. Both are slightly used and in great shape. I would use them for general hunting in midwestern/great lake area soil. Coins, relics or whatever I can find. Any thoughts or ideas? Please let me know!
Thanks!
If I want to keep my sites from being cleaned out, I would tell you the Garrett, BUT since you are far away I don't care so I would get the ORX, HA HA HA 🤣 for years Garretts have been a dirty word for us, (just never seem to be as good as other machines) I'll get trashed by some diehard Garrett users but ... OH WELL :dontknow: 🤣

Between those 2 detectors, another ORX vote

Without a doubt XP ORX is better, it's light and easy to carry, what's more, you can use the device at any frequency you want, if you're looking for relics, go for a lower frequency, take it deep, if you want smaller objects, chain or ring leave it on frequency one little higher.

It's a great device, especially with a FREQUENCY of 3.7 to 81 KHZ, if you're digging in the mines you can use the 72 KHZ frequency and nothing will happen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back