Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Jorgeke

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
Jorgeke PLEASE BE CAREFUL !!! I enjoy enjoy your postings and information. I would sure hear anything like this happend to you. Remember when you invited me I declined mainly because of the snakes LOL
Hi Gary

Remember, There is nothing stronger than Gary’s soul. Invitation still here.
Dress your horse and came down to here, like a maniacs!!
That horses can’t stop on the way. But need a rider just like you. Smiling everywhere.

🤪thanks for your comments, keep in touch.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trouble with rattlesnakes is...they are more afraid of you then you are of them. They do not strike every moving animal or human. The woods are full of large animals, rattlesnakes rattle to warn animals of their presence. They need their venom to kill small animals to eat. There have been so many times I have tried to get a good picture of a rattlesnake and they crawl away to quickly. The best photos are head on from about 4 foot away. It would be impossible for a 3 or 4 foot snake to strike you from that distance. The rattlesnakes in this photo were 4 foot away. They were frightened of me, I only got 2 photos before they crawled under a rock.
184_6352.JPG

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The trouble with rattlesnakes is...they are more afraid of you then you are of them. They do not strike every moving animal or human. The woods are full of large animals, rattlesnakes rattle to warn animals of their presence. They need their venom to kill small animals to eat. There have been so many times I have tried to get a good picture of a rattlesnake and they crawl away to quickly. The best photos are head on from about 4 foot away. It would be impossible for a 3 or 4 foot snake to strike you from that distance. The rattlesnakes in this photo were 4 foot away. They were frightened of me, I only got 2 photos before they crawled under a rock. View attachment 2106969
They look like they have been eating well. That's a cool pic!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's the old saying you only have to run faster than the other guy.
(Oh that was for 🐻)
Snake bites 🫦 😫
Not wise to suck out the poison yourself, that's what friends are for-right?
Probably leggings, snake bite kit, and bring aware of where you swing the coil.
Interesting topic 🤔
I am not worried where I swing the coil but more so where I am placing my feet and hands, wear snake guards, and a good pair of boots that the fangs cannot penetrate a bite from a rattler can ruin a good day of detecting, that is one of the reasons I do not personally wear over the ear headphones or earbuds when detecting in the areas I detect the Rattlers and the fact there are bear and mountain Lion in the areas, as well as Javelina which can get pretty nasty if cornered, I detect for nuggets, my wife also goes out with me so I also have to keep a keen ear for what she is doing while we are out, and with my wife the way she is she would see a bear and think its a big friendly Dog so Over the ear and in the ear headphones are out of the question for me, you also cannot hear a rattler with over the ear and or earbuds when detecting

no it is not a good idea to try and suck the venom out carry a snake bite kit, you are trying to get the venom out not drink it LOL, as for rattlers rattling when it is raining I have no clue I do not detect in the rain if at all possible.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would like to hear about your advice, for preventing snake bites or how could react in front of a bite.

Experiences, ideas, etc

Is that true that is not good idea to try to suck the poison ?

Is that true that some snake colors tell you if poisoning or not?

Is that true that rattlesnake are not rattle during rain?

Are these myths

Any comment is welcomed

Keep in touch
Jorgeke View attachment 2106445
just remember a rattler can strike you from a distance of over half the length of his or her body length

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just remember a rattler can strike you from a distance of over half the length of his or her body length
So are you suggesting we should measure them before sticking our hand close to them ? LOL Just a bit of humor this morning

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Duct tape cardboard around your lower legs, pull your pants up over the cardboard. Ground snakes seldom bite above the knee.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duct tape cardboard around your lower legs, pull your pants up over the cardboard. Ground snakes seldom bite above the knee.
WHat about if your on your knees reaching for something ?

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So are you suggesting we should measure them before sticking our hand close to them ? LOL Just a bit of humor this morning
im not going to get close enough to measure them an eye ball guess will do LOL I am usually a pretty good guesser of the length of them

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you test that one and let us know how it works out, if a rattlers fangs can go through a rubber tire on a car how do you think a piece of cardboard and duct tape is going to fare.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thing is to be aware of what venomous snakes are in your area. And avoid them. No you don't want to suck the poison out. Say you're struck on the lower leg. You're not gonna die immediately. Put a not too tight tourniquet above the bite to slow the spread of venom and have someone drive you to the hospital. Don't get too excited. Now I will qualify that with saying I know one young man who got hit by a rattler over on the Front Range and he died pretty quick. Something due to his system. Sometimes they will want you to bring the snake with you cause they don't trust your ID. Now if you're in some sort of far off wilderness setting, you will probably die but it will be a slow process. Or maybe not, you will never know til you're bit, so be aware, alert, and avoid them. Rattlesnakes developed rattles to warn buffalo not to step on them. My son, who has some research projects published and was for a while in charge of the reptile department at Oklahoma University, tells me researchers believe that rattlesnakes are evolving to not rattle, as when they do they get killed. Something to think about when you're out hiking.

AZ Gold Hunter

Feb 27, 2023
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that once we got home and did research, I couldn’t remember if the red touching yellow saying was correct. It wasn’t aggressive at all, but he blended in really well. It was right in the middle of the trail.
I agree about the 2 legged ones, we have some real winners down here in Fl. Cops just killed some nut in a shootout that was living in the State Forest west of us last week where we camp a lot.
My late parents moved to Hollywood, FL back in the 80's. We only lasted a year as the crime at that time there was nuts. We also vacationed there almost every year. Sanibel Island is still one of my favorite places. I want to bring my daughters and wife there, but we will wait until it has recovered a bit more. I would love to try metal detecting some beach as well.

Yes red and yellow touching is the one you want to avoid.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you test that one and let us know how it works out, if a rattlers fangs can go through a rubber tire on a car how do you think a piece of cardboard and duct tape is going to fare.
Ok, instead of cardboard, try wraparound hard nylon. Did not know that about rattlers. We have Copperheads here.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My late parents moved to Hollywood, FL back in the 80's. We only lasted a year as the crime at that time there was nuts. We also vacationed there almost every year. Sanibel Island is still one of my favorite places. I want to bring my daughters and wife there, but we will wait until it has recovered a bit more. I would love to try metal detecting some beach as well.

Yes red and yellow touching is the one you want to avoid.
Small world, I had relatives that lived there and Hallandale back in the 60’s.
Sanibel area is still trashed from last years hurricane that just missed us. Lots of people still homeless and now an insurance crisis. Companies are moving out, others rates going thru the roof or cancelling everyone. Next big hit this state is going to implode. So far we have been lucky this year.
When you plan to visit let me know and I will send you a list of some of my favorite spots.

AZ Gold Hunter

Feb 27, 2023
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small world, I had relatives that lived there and Hallandale back in the 60’s.
Sanibel area is still trashed from last years hurricane that just missed us. Lots of people still homeless and now an insurance crisis. Companies are moving out, others rates going thru the roof or cancelling everyone. Next big hit this state is going to implode. So far we have been lucky this year.
When you plan to visit let me know and I will send you a list of some of my favorite spots.
I will definitely let you know when I come that way. If you could let me know when the island gets back to normal. When I asked a travel company they lied and said "No worries everything is back to normal. You won't even know that a hurricane hit there". I knew they were lying.

If you ever come out this way let me know as well. We have all kinds of great areas.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will definitely let you know when I come that way. If you could let me know when the island gets back to normal. When I asked a travel company they lied and said "No worries everything is back to normal. You won't even know that a hurricane hit there". I knew they were lying.

If you ever come out this way let me know as well. We have all kinds of great areas.
It’s really bad, Ft Myers Beach is gone, Sanibel is gone, I don’t know how else to explain it, everything is just “gone”. Maybe 1 or 2 structures still standing. They are having to bulldoze entire retirement communities because all the prefab homes are beyond repair. Lots of Retirees have lost everything and have no place to go. Now the Insurance Companies are fucking them over. They had a segment on our local news last week of a woman thats still living in her garage pleading for help, it was pretty heartbreaking. Last week Nationwide cancelled thousands of policies. Another news segment was a Guy that owned a Bar/ Restaurant on the beach at Ft Myers, it’s just an empty lot now So he brought a food truck in and parked it where the building used to be, same with the local hardware store that is now a tent. Just a rough guess, I would say 3-4 years before it’s even close to normal.
If you ever get over this way give me a shout and we can hook up and I will give you the grand tour.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread