Any advice on Cibola?

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari
I have been detecting for a little less than a year. I've gotten better at finding clad, but lately my dad and uncle have been bringing me to older places in hopes of finding older coins (my dad has a safari and my uncle an xterra). I havent had any luck when looking for deeper, older coins. I have ran into a few wheats near trees, but thats about it. Not sure what kind of beeps i should be digging on or discrimination level to use.
I run the sensitivity at 10, usually have the disc slightly below nickel and dig anything that beeps 4 ways.
Any advice on what to do/how to find deeper coins?

Thanks for any advice, and happy hunting

I crank the threshold up all the way. Turn the sensitivity up until it starts chattering then turn it down until it stops. If it doesn't chatter I turn the sensitivity up all the way. I mainly dig for civil war relics and set my discriminator where it will cut off on a nail. If you have mineralized soil your Cibola won't get the depth as some other detectors but in good to moderate ground they will go deep. Dig a signal even if it doesn't beep 4 ways. I've had things only read one way because they were laying beside iron or at a funny angle. I've also had siganl that were more of a chatter than a beep. Read this and you will see what I mean
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,306034.msg2210652.html#msg2210652
I hope this info is of some help.

vayank54 said:
I crank the threshold up all the way. Turn the sensitivity up until it starts chattering then turn it down until it stops. If it doesn't chatter I turn the sensitivity up all the way. I mainly dig for civil war relics and set my discriminator where it will cut off on a nail. If you have mineralized soil your Cibola won't get the depth as some other detectors but in good to moderate ground they will go deep. Dig a signal even if it doesn't beep 4 ways. I've had things only read one way because they were laying beside iron or at a funny angle. I've also had siganl that were more of a chatter than a beep. Read this and you will see what I mean
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,306034.msg2210652.html#msg2210652
I hope this info is of some help.

Thanks for the advice, I'll remember to try that my next time out.

Headphones help with the Cib. I also dig most anything that beeps repeatable or 2-way. Lot of trash where I tend to hunt. I run disc just above iron, and will supertune if I think I need to but generally run sens 7-8 and threshold at 1-2oclock.

Right. I should have thought to mention it. always use headphones. You can miss a lot without them. I mainly dig for civil war relics and a lot of the areas I hunt are trashy as well. I keep my discriminator set just where it cuts off on a nail as gun parts, tools and other small items will be missed with it set to high. I dig my share of junk but I'm less likely to miss a good iron relic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back