Any advice would help

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
I am a newbie at MD'ing only been about 4 days now, but I am getting my pinpointing down Pretty good though. Anyway. I am heading to my grandmas yard this week. Her house was built in the 1800's and as far as I know, has never been detected.

My uncle lives there now and said he has found a couple of old coins just while digging the garden. So I am pretty excited. Any advice anyone could give to help me achieve the best results would be greatly appreciated :-)

Upvote 0
Slow and steady and dig all the signals and you should come up with some exciting unknowns

It has been my experience that the path between the back door and where the car is parked always produces... but mostly clad. Check around for the evidence that may indicate where a building MAY have been.... such as a tool shed or something. Hmmm, LOTS of things to look for. Where did Grandpa work on the old cars? How about under the big tree in the front yard.... that's where they sat before air-conditioning. Etc, etc. TTC

Don't forget to ask Where the Cloths Line Was Or Is Start there!!! HH And Good Luck Chug!!!

garden & flower bed spots often have coins from folks having them drop out of pockets while working en em -- old folk often hid money their money from one another --wifes did not want their husbands spending her hard earned egg money on booze and husbands hid a bit of "fun money" from their penny pinching wives .

Thank you everyone. Definitely some good advice. Will post my findings when I get back. Hopefully I have something worth showing :-)

don't forget to check the path from the house to the mailbox. back in the day, they would buy postage from the mailman at the box. also check in old flower beds around the house. if you can find the old outhouse check that path from the house

I would cover as much ground as I could while taking your time. Keep us posted with your finds.

Ok so I detected my grandmas yard today. Absolutely horrible. For almost 5 hours I was there and came home with a pocket full of nails and screws. And 7 cents clad. Don't know what the problem was. But My detector didn't stop beeping. Had my sensitivity down 3 bars. Swithched back and forth in the mode, and everytime my detector would give me a dime signal, it would he a screw. Very frustrating. I don't know what I am doing or not doing. Ugh.

Old houses are notoriously iron filled, yet notoriously productive. Crank the sense way down and crank the scrim way up. That's the ticket.

You are reeping the bennies of a spot that's never been dug before! Give it time. The good stuff is there. You just have to clean the "carpet" off first. TTC

As the others said... you've got a good spot, but you've got to do a little yard keeping first. It can be frustrating, but it'll get better, the more you detect.

Go slow and listen closely. Be patient and persistant.

If you don't have a small 4.5" "sniper" coil, pick one up, it'll help you sniff around the nails for some good stuff being masked by the trash.

Search up and down the sides of the driveway. Decades of coins and keys being dropped.

Just take your time, move in small steps, and cover the area thoroughly.

And have a blast.

Please post your finds when you get back. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back