Knight_of_Excalibur_II
Jr. Member
- Joined
- Jan 17, 2026
- Messages
- 91
- Reaction score
- 412
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- SE Florida
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Excalibur II
- Primary Interest:
- Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
I've been doing research on treasure hunting that optimizes yield ($) with minimal red tape. While Florida has some modest options, any serious Spanish wreck salvaging is pretty much off the table for the average layman due to costs, red tape, legal shenanigans, etc. Saw that opal mining, particularly in the outback, can be very lucrative, but very hit or miss. Are there any users here that can corroborate? If so, what are your experiences? How does Australia treat its prospectors, how large is the red tape, etc.? Do you find it personally worth it to be an opal miner, or is it prohibitively expensive, etc.? I know that gold prospecting is an option here in the states, but I feel that most people spend more than they make, or just barely break even, certainly not enough for a full time or serious operation. It seems to be only productive at scale, save for few very lucky finds.
I'm curious to see what your opinion is! Tangentially, I find Australian opals to be one of the most beautiful gems out there...

I'm curious to see what your opinion is! Tangentially, I find Australian opals to be one of the most beautiful gems out there...










