Any cap n ball shooters?

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my black powder, percussion revolvers. I also cast bullets. These are repro's of a 1858 Remington new model Army. The other is a colt type, both 44.cal. Piettas of Italy, the Rem made in 2002, not sure the Colt type, it was given to me free, I reciprocated with a bullwhip I made.
Also pictured is my bullet mold and the small ladle I melt the lead in. Mold is a 2 cavity 451. believe 133 gr.

Love shooting these (new) old guns

Sorry, the guns pic wont load, anyway, that got pretty brass frames, the Remington has an octagon, blue steel barrel, 1 foot long WIN_20170519_09_34_18_Pro.jpg WIN_20170519_09_34_34_Pro.jpg

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shoot an old S&W that likes the LEE .456 mold for the ruger old army. Was a .455 British gun but has been re-chambered to 45 colt so likes the bigger bullet, but light loads only. I got that same ladle but use a small cast iron pot from Lyman. edit Get a small cast iron fry pan to melt your lead, i used to do it on a coleman stove.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Getter

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shoot an old S&W that likes the LEE .456 mold for the ruger old army. Was a .455 British gun but has been re-chambered to 45 colt so likes the bigger bullet, but light loads only. I got that same ladle but use a small cast iron pot from Lyman. edit Get a small cast iron fry pan to melt your lead, i used to do it on a coleman stove.

Thanks nagant, I just used a blue torch and chunk up the lead to fit the ladle, I don't need to produce to many.

Recently, I put a cast iron pot on a fire and melted 8 pounds, then I cast an ant mound, hear is a pic of one WIN_20170528_17_10_59_Pro.jpg

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks nagant, I just used a blue torch and chunk up the lead to fit the ladle, I don't need to produce to many.

Recently, I put a cast iron pot on a fire and melted 8 pounds, then I cast an ant mound, hear is a pic of one View attachment 1459431

I had seen something about anthill molding - too cool! Look up Anthill Art on Youtube - Something to do with all that canslaw- :)

OP
OP
Getter

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had seen something about anthill molding - too cool! Look up Anthill Art on Youtube - Something to do with all that canslaw- :)

I have just learned it is possible to melt aluminum in a fire, a better choice than lead, especially if you intend to sell them. I know lead melts around 620 F I think aluminum is around 1200F I would not of thought an open fire would be hot enough and would require a furnace.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad has a enfield replica and and kentucky long rifle replica from his civil war reenactment days ( back when there were only a couple hundred reenacting the battle of Gettysburg.) I want to get into shooting them just haven't had the time or money to invest in materials.

OP
OP
Getter

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad has a enfield replica and and kentucky long rifle replica from his civil war reenactment days ( back when there were only a couple hundred reenacting the battle of Gettysburg.) I want to get into shooting them just haven't had the time or money to invest in materials.

You can buy precast bullets if you intend to not shoot often, otherwise a mold is a fairly cheap investment that should give you bullets for life. It does take a bit of up front money to get shooting, but IMHO it is worth it. Nothing like the deep thunder of black powder and the giant cloud of smoke that blooms out. I fired mine on the river, 5 quick shots, you should of seen the giant cloud drifting down river!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Pietta reproduction 1851 Colt Navy (.36)

Lots of fun.

I deer hunt with a .54 flintlock rifle (even during regular season) and grouse/bunny hunt with a 16 bore flintlock fowler. The fowler also throws a 1 ounce cast ball (paper patched) out to 60 yards pretty well.

I use a Lee bottom pour electric furnace.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an original 1858 Remington Army that my Grandfather dredged out of the Chesapeake Bay many years ago. If only it wasn't a rusted lump, it would probably be very fun to shoot it. The only hunting I do at the moment is metal detecting, I am thinking about getting into turkey hunting sometime though. If I do, I would definitely want to try using cap and ball at some point. Doing your own casting feels more rewarding than buying bullets, and I heard shooting round balls requires more precision and skill also. Before the mid 1800's if you wanted dinner you would have to cast all your own round balls, and hope one of them hits the target.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been shooting a SILE Inc. marked 1860 Colt repro in .44 for about 40 years. Had to file the hammer notch deeper to be on target at 25 yards, and filed a half round in the right chamber shroud above the capping slot that replicates an original 1860 and which pretty well eliminated cap jamming with this pistol, which had been a headache before doing this mod. Have fired thousands of rounds and never had a chain fire, but I always lube the ball in the chamber with Crisco, except when using homemade pre lubed wads between the powder and ball. Cast my own balls with an old Dixie Gun Works iron mold @ .454 from soft to slightly hard lead melted in an small iron pot on my Coleman stove or a fire. My pistol has the shallow 9mm rifling and does better with harder lead, also does double duty as a snake smacker when loaded with #9 buckshot or homemade swan shot cut from old plumbing solder or monotype over 15 grains of FFFg with a wad between the powder and shot and another over the chamber mouth. Have experimented with making my own caps from various materials with mixed success. Over the years the only breakages have been about 4 chamber hands, and wore out one barrel wedge, all of which I replaced myself by careful filing, stoning and fitting. Cap & ball pistols are not only useful but fun to shoot, just be sure to be careful with the black powder, and always clean up with hot soapy water and when dry wipe down with olive oil for storage.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    577.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    524.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    527.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
OP
OP
Getter

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been shooting a SILE Inc. marked 1860 Colt repro in .44 for about 40 years. Had to file the hammer notch deeper to be on target at 25 yards, and filed a half round in the right chamber shroud above the capping slot that replicates an original 1860 and which pretty well eliminated cap jamming with this pistol, which had been a headache before doing this mod. Have fired thousands of rounds and never had a chain fire, but I always lube the ball in the chamber with Crisco, except when using homemade pre lubed wads between the powder and ball. Cast my own balls with an old Dixie Gun Works iron mold @ .454 from soft to slightly hard lead melted in an small iron pot on my Coleman stove or a fire. My pistol has the shallow 9mm rifling and does better with harder lead, also does double duty as a snake smacker when loaded with #9 buckshot or homemade swan shot cut from old plumbing solder or monotype over 15 grains of FFFg with a wad between the powder and shot and another over the chamber mouth. Have experimented with making my own caps from various materials with mixed success. Over the years the only breakages have been about 4 chamber hands, and wore out one barrel wedge, all of which I replaced myself by careful filing, stoning and fitting. Cap & ball pistols are not only useful but fun to shoot, just be sure to be careful with the black powder, and always clean up with hot soapy water and when dry wipe down with olive oil for storage.

I tried using Crisco and toilet bowl ring wax, everytime you fire, it blows half of it out of the neighboring cylinder and is very messy. I have started just putting a toilet paper wad between the ball and powder, seems to work, just gotta keep the fire hazard in mind, it ignites the TP.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread