Any comic book experts out there?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
The reason I ask is because I bought a couple box fulls yesterday. They are all in great shape and in plastic sleeves with the cardboard backing. There are signed ones, a few old ones, a couple pro. graded (cgc) ones, and mostly newer (80's-90's). Many have prices on them, some are pretty high, also some have been graded by whomever, mostly 9.0 or higher, don't know what to believe.I can give a few pics later, right now I don't have the time. Just wanted to get this out there in case there are any knowledgeable people out there in this field. I don't usually buy stuff i'm not familiar with but this was a great deal I though, so I took a chance. I haven't even counted them or sorted them yet. A few example of what appear to be better titles are Hellraiser #1 signed by Clive Barker cover C limited ed.(2 copies), X-Men #14 Marvel, Walt Disney Darby O'Gill and the little People (1959), Punisher Dark Reign #1 signed by Mike McKone, The Marvels Project Variant Edition #1 with a sketch drawn and signed by George Perez? 09 and several more with a plain cover. Also are many Sonic the Hedghog, X-Men, Masters of the Univ., The Avengers, Halloween, Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash, Hack/Slash, Grim Stories, Tarot and the list goes on and on. Hundreds of them it looks like.
Found this it probly what you need to know... http://www.comicbooksecrets.com/theblog/instant-comic-book-values-and-price-guide/

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Bought two file boxes of 80-90's various comics with many No. 1's, after some research and calls to comic shops, ended up selling to a friend for B/E. My comic book lesson. Rarity, condition, subject ect.. all come into play. Unless its early and cheap, I'll pass them by from now one. Just don't know enough.

Good luck, your lot sound much better then mine was.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup, I hate like hell to bust your bubble, but I think what you have there is not worth much to be honest.. Yes, I do consider myself a near expert in this filed, owning over 2000 Silver age comics. The other 3000 would fall into the group you're mentioning.. Even that X-Men #14 doesn't sound that good, unless it's from the 60's

There was also a term for the series run itself, as the X-men at one point changed and it would be considered a 2nd series. I believe that X-Men #14 is what you have.. I have over a dozen of that series #1's and they are not worth spit either. :laughing7: The most important factor in a comic is the writer/artist combination, that's were you can make some money.

But if you want my help, we can correspond via e-mail.. I'll be glad to help you as much a possible.

You have to keep in mind that in the golden age 30-50's and Silver age 60/70's there were not many issues in print either :thumbsup:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the titles, you'll make your money on the Silver Age comics :thumbsup: Also note that in any series, they were sometimes character lineup changes and these can also be worth a good deal. A good example would be Avengers #4, where Captain America was reintroduced. There was also a Spider-man in the upper 90's, I think #96 that has value because it was the first comic published without the comics code approval..

Here are some of the titles that have held value over the years.

DC - Batman believe it or not, some of the newer ones in this series can have value from the Dark Knight

Marvel- X-Men, Spider-man, Fantastic Four, The Hulk, Iron Man

Independent Comics - Small market and it's a hit, or miss

I could kick myself today, I had the whole run of X-Men comics from #1-100, but never cared for the book, so I sold them off many, many, many, years ago. I did hold on to all the Spider-Man comics, which at one time printed up to 4 tittles and that is well over 1,000 comics right there, and several copies of key issues.

The comics to avoid are any mini-series, or one shots, they will never be worth much in our lifetime.

The only one shot I have that is worth something is Iron Man / Sub Mariner #1 and I have 3 issues of that one.

The saddest part is that in today's economy, there is little money for frivolous spending on comics and it is hurting the prices... So if yo can, I would suggest holding them a bit longer.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Depending on the titles, you'll make your money on the Silver Age comics :thumbsup: Also note that in any series, they were sometimes character lineup changes and these can also be worth a good deal. A good example would be Avengers #4, where Captain America was reintroduced. There was also a Spider-man in the upper 90's, I think #96 that has value because it was the first comic published without the comics code approval..

Here are some of the titles that have held value over the years.

DC - Batman believe it or not, some of the newer ones in this series can have value from the Dark Knight

Marvel- X-Men, Spider-man, Fantastic Four, The Hulk, Iron Man

Independent Comics - Small market and it's a hit, or miss

I could kick myself today, I had the whole run of X-Men comics from #1-100, but never cared for the book, so I sold them off many, many, many, years ago. I did hold on to all the Spider-Man comics, which at one time printed up to 4 tittles and that is well over 1,000 comics right there, and several copies of key issues.

The comics to avoid are any mini-series, or one shots, they will never be worth much in our lifetime.

The only one shot I have that is worth something is Iron Man / Sub Mariner #1 and I have 3 issues of that one.

The saddest part is that in today's economy, there is little money for frivolous spending on comics and it is hurting the prices... So if yo can, I would suggest holding them a bit longer.
Thanks for the info. Spart.

Last edited:

James/Ouida

Jan 23, 2012
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if those have regular cardboard backing, like the stuff for boxes, you need to take that backing OUT! It has acid in it that will destroy the color and paper it's touching. You don't really need the backing, unless you plan on standing them up and displaying them. And I'm interested in your Sonic the Hedgehog!!!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about Mylar sleeves? That is the best for comic protection, but very costly....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread