Any Comments/Ideas on Cornwallis Silver Plunder while Retreating in NC?

P

Pendragon

Life Long History Buff First entry into the world of Detecting.
My research indicates twice in a span of 75 years----(2) large silver bars have been found seperately within a 10 mile radius proportedly to be that of the Lord Cornwallis cache while retreating from the defeat in NC. Interested in learning if anyone is willing to offer any suggestions/tips on working North Carolina Clay River Banks and any applicable equipment suggestions for targeting specifically Silver Bars in said environment? Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello and welcome to the forum, Pendragon. Good to see a historian bitten by the treasure bug instead of someone with just greed glands to go on :D The Cornwallis cache is supposedly in the Lexington, NC area. I don't know what your sources are, but a 10 mile radius means a 20 mile diameter. I doubt the "mother cache" would be spread that far apart, but I suppose it could have been divided in several areas for security.

As far as exploring NC red clay on the river, you have to consider two options. One, erosion could make a target very close to the surface (or edge of the river). Two, flooding could have buried the target even deeper by moving more sediment over the area. Close to the surface would require a simple metal detector - perhaps with a large coil. A deeper target would require a deepseeking detector like a pi with a 1 meter loop or a two box detector.

The Cornwallis legend states that the hoard was buried, then explosives were used to cover the opening with a landslide. If there is a cavity or cave involved, then a two-box might help with finding that as well.

I happen to live in the Raleigh area. I have both a pi and a two box detector if you'd like to contact me via email. I'd be glad to help if you're interested. I tend to doubt treasure book stories, but it's always fun to look ;D

OP
OP
P

Pendragon

Thank you both for the welcome and your informative post hereto Darren! I will contact you via email!

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you guys found any treasure? I hope that these stories are true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions