Any gold nugget experts? Trying to determine origin of a nugget pin!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up the other day at my LCS. The pin on the back dates it from 1850-1900. I am trying to figure out where it might be from? I was thinking the Alaskan gold rush but someone mentioned they think it may actually be from the California gold rush. Each would make sense as the miners would frequently turn raw nuggets into jewelry pieces like this. There is still some dirt and quartz on the nugget as seen in the pictures. It weighs 6.2 grams. The exact composition of it is 78.53% Au and 21.47% Ag. As far as I am concerned this is known as electrum. Any input is greatly appreciated!
20190612_200429_resized.jpg20190612_200445_resized.jpg

I know there is a way to determine exactly where it came from but I am not sure how it is done but Gold is specific to the region it came from until it is smelted of course.Mines had certain amounts of all the different metals in their gold and could prove ownership. There is a forum for gold prospecting on this site just look down the forums a little farther down and someone may be able to give you an answer.

Upvote 0
I think I lost it, so it came from me... :laughing7:

I would say it's California gold.
Alaska gold has a lower gold purity.

Upvote 0
I'd like to know also if a nugget could be identified of it's origin by it's natural grade. I bought an old nugget stickpin that has a dark blue faceted stone mounted in it, which I'm thinking is a Montana Yogo Sapphire. I did have the PM buyer check out the nugget on his electronic gold tester and the needle ran up just short of the 18K mark. If that stone is a real Yogo I'm thinking the nugget may have come from Montana, but I've never found a way to prove that idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
78% gold seems low for a natural nugget. Also, for there to be no iron, lead or copper is unusual. I’m assuming an XRF gun was used to examine the nugget. There are so many variables in each nugget from location to location on the same mine it is difficult to determine a nuggets origins without knowing the provenance. The pictures look like a natural nugget, but a closer examination would be prudent.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back