Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing it's a one-off art school piece. It also has a Middle Earth vibe to it, very big in the late 60's early 70's. I am making this all up. Just my feeling. Being a candle lantern, it fits.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''Put a candle in it and go out to the barn and milk the cow before you go to school.''

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks homemade and one of a kind to me, the snake has a lot of mig welding on it . I'd say no more than 25-30 years old.
all just a guess of course . being a scrap metal artist I like this kind of stuff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jtw1313

jtw1313

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The core of the snake is a copper tube bent and what I think is bronze dripped over it

Upvote 0

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A light on the front porch for the old man to pry his boots off before coming in the front door. The handle above the boot fork used to be longer for leverage.

�� Mike ��

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My thinking is that it's a very old 're-purposed' wall-mounted candle lantern... but exactly how old? :dontknow:

I feel the 'driftwood base' and the metal eye-loop at the top are later additions to make the lantern more displayable as opposed to more functional. Without being able to physically handle the piece and give it a thorough inspection, my thinking is that it's likely an older piece due to the 'earlier' mounting attachments that are visible on both sides. It also looks like there are the remains of 'feet' on this lamp, very curious. :icon_scratch:

When determining the age of any early lamp or lamp part, whether it be candle, oil, gas or electric you need to look at a number of factors...

The type of metal used.
The manufacture of the glass panels.
The solder type.
The style/design of the interior candle holder.
What part of the world does the piece originate from.
What was the original designed use of the piece... indoor, outdoor, barn, church etc.

Without being able to actually handle your lamp, a broad date range of manufacture would be late-18th to early 19thc.
Dave

Attachments

• F5C1A079-D237-4EF3-95DC-BB9844CA6880-crop.jpeg
    F5C1A079-D237-4EF3-95DC-BB9844CA6880-crop.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 9C5B5C2B-0540-4DC2-9616-630ECEB149BF-crop.jpeg
    9C5B5C2B-0540-4DC2-9616-630ECEB149BF-crop.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a candle holder

It is a folk art garden lantern - likely one-of-a-kind. Pretty well done IMO. I don't get the impression it is very old. Turn of the 21st C give or take a decade.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a folk art garden lantern - likely one-of-a-kind. Pretty well done IMO. I don't get the impression it is very old. Turn of the 21st C give or take a decade.
Agree not very old. Looks like sheet metal crudely cut up with a cutting torch and welded with an oxy-acetylene welder. Seems to me as maybe a Lord of the Rings kind of decor. Cool looking lamp though.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I'd be surprised if the creator of this lamp didn't put his/her ID somewhere on the object.
Don.......

Agree not very old. Looks like sheet metal crudely cut up with a cutting torch and welded with an oxy-acetylene welder. Seems to me as maybe a Lord of the Rings kind of decor. Cool looking lamp though.

Come on guys, the posted pics are not the greatest on this piece. :icon_scratch: If we could all properly handle/inspect the lantern in person, then I think we would be better able to determine if this was a high school metal shop project or an East India-made garden ornament. For the record, I was an executive on The Historical Lighting Society of Canada for over 20 years. I have owned and authenticated literally hundreds of oil/fluid burning lamps since the early 1980s. I have also had portions of my collection displayed and donated select pieces to local museums. Now, I can't say for certain that this piece is truly authentic unless I was to actually hold it. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair enough antiquarian, but I'm basing my opinion on the jagged flame cut looking edge on those cutouts and the welded seems. I just didn't think a tinsmith of the 19th would use those techniques.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jtw1313

jtw1313

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more pics

It weighs about 4lbs

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it lacks the craftsmanship you'd expect from an old piece. but I'm no expert for sure .

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread