Any help would be great!!

New2SATX

Mar 5, 2016
South Central Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi. I am new to South Central TX. My 12 year old wants to start fossil hunting. I know this area has a lot of marine fossils, can anyone help me out? I would like for this to be something we could do together. I bought the Texas field guide, read through it, but I am feeling lost...ANY help would be great. I saw some organizations online, but their sites don't seem to be update, so I am not sure they are active and I also read some negative things about the groups. Any guidance would be great!!

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Deleted by author.

Last edited:

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visit your local library and museum. Librarians are a great resource, and museums might have experience with local rockhounding groups and be able to help you find one that is kid-friendly and does field trips. Also maybe his/her science teacher could be a resource. Plus tell all your friends, and someone is bound to know someone. Good luck!

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you bought a field guide there should be many areas mentioned in the book about south central Texas . I would just jump in the car and go to the closest park that's open for collecting and learn as you go. After you've gained some experience with the area you can explore some road cuts, quarries or find your own spot that has been untouched for millions of years. That's when it gets really fun!! I Hope you and your -son/daughter- have a great time. Good luck.
Couple places to check-
Mineral Wells Fossil Park, Benbrook Lake, Ladonia Fossil park, Lindsey Ranch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread