What's new

✅ SOLVED Any idea on these small brass objects?

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2021
Messages
2,803
Reaction score
6,481
Golden Thread
0
Location
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found at the park dating back to the 1800s. We think the round one may be a ramrod end. It had old wood inside and a pin. Our elderly neighbor (who loves seeing our finds!) thinks the other may be a gun part as well. Found nearby. Any way to determine age? You folks always blow me away with your knowledge of obscure things! Thanks!
20210707_195123.webp20210707_195054.webp20210707_170953.webp
 
The rammer tip (for a shotgun/smoothbore) I can agree with.

Not sure what the other item is but I don't think it is part of a firearm(?) Looks like a little plunger and a clasp.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you Charlie!
 
Upvote 0
There appears to be a "S" or "5" as shown in the annotated picture below - may be part of a maker's mark. It kinda looks like a latch of some sort. Hooking at the top (secured by the flat face that may have been spring-loaded). It pivoted around a pin at the bottom. Please post the 2 additional photos as requested.
 

Attachments

  • Latch.webp
    Latch.webp
    87.6 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
Currently out of state. Attached one requested. Will get the other tomorrow when we get home. We totally missed the 5!! Thank you!
20210710_212853.webp
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for posting the new pic. On second thought what I thought might be a "S" or "5" isn't - but some symbol still appears to be there. At the bottom there does appear to be a broken pin. There may be another on the back side of the catch. If so, I need to re-think the pivoting idea. Look forward to close-up.
 
Upvote 0
Got home later than expected. I too am having trouble seeing the S or 5 that looked so good in the pic. My phone camera isn't great at closeups. I think you are all right that it is some kind of clasp or lock. Thanks!
20210711_150013.webp20210711_150109.webp
 
Upvote 0
Looking at the last 2 pictures - I'm not seeing the "S" or "5" either. Unable to visualize what this might have been part of. Hopefully someone else will.
 
Upvote 0
We're going to go with latch or clasp as it seems likely. Thank you all for your help!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks! I will take a look!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom