W Williamsce24 Jr. Member Joined Oct 20, 2023 Messages 54 Reaction score 96 Golden Thread 0 Aug 19, 2026 #1 Some type of nail but has an 8 stamped on the top of it. Found in central PA. Thank you Attachments 20260819_062538.webp 621.5 KB · Views: 73 20260819_062525.webp 1.1 MB · Views: 53
old digger Gold Member Joined Jan 15, 2012 Messages 7,553 Reaction score 7,437 Golden Thread 0 Location Montana Detector(s) used White's MXT Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Aug 19, 2026 #2 I believe that is an old railroad date nail. I was told that it represented the year it was made {1908}. Upvote 0
I believe that is an old railroad date nail. I was told that it represented the year it was made {1908}.
Red-Coat Gold Member Joined Dec 23, 2019 Messages 7,912 Reaction score 25,108 Golden Thread 0 Location Surrey, UK Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Aug 20, 2026 #3 Yes, it's a date nail... not just used by railroads, but also by utility companies on things like telephone poles. Upvote 0
Yes, it's a date nail... not just used by railroads, but also by utility companies on things like telephone poles.
R russau Gold Member Joined May 29, 2005 Messages 9,489 Reaction score 10,765 Golden Thread 0 Location St. Louis, missouri Aug 20, 2026 #4 Back when I was just a snot nosed kid I heard of those RR tie nails and looked for them on the rails and in piles of old RR ties that were stacked up on the sides of the RR . Time got away from me on this and so did the RR nails! Upvote 0
Back when I was just a snot nosed kid I heard of those RR tie nails and looked for them on the rails and in piles of old RR ties that were stacked up on the sides of the RR . Time got away from me on this and so did the RR nails!
W Williamsce24 Jr. Member Joined Oct 20, 2023 Messages 54 Reaction score 96 Golden Thread 0 Aug 20, 2026 Thread Owner #5 Thanks everyone for the info!! Found about 50 yards from mainline railroad tracks so that makes sense Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the info!! Found about 50 yards from mainline railroad tracks so that makes sense
1637 Bronze Member Joined May 26, 2011 Messages 1,891 Reaction score 2,689 Golden Thread 0 Location tujunga ca Detector(s) used xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites Aug 22, 2026 #6 cool,ive have a few from 1901 to just found 57 Upvote 0