What's new

✅ SOLVED Any idea what type of Wood These candle Holders are?

chadkeath

Full Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2013
Messages
230
Reaction score
319
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gang. Happy New Year! My aunt has been trying to figure these wood candlestick out. So I am hoping you may be able to shed some light. They are marked as well on bottom. Any help is appreciated. Thank you for the help.
 

Attachments

  • AFDA0DFE-5902-46E9-BBED-715AFD8F8A39.webp
    AFDA0DFE-5902-46E9-BBED-715AFD8F8A39.webp
    68 KB · Views: 111
  • CE5A7CBC-9086-477D-84F4-DDE12FCA2B0C.webp
    CE5A7CBC-9086-477D-84F4-DDE12FCA2B0C.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 8D42CE8C-428C-402A-9819-2DF6E2EEDACD.webp
    8D42CE8C-428C-402A-9819-2DF6E2EEDACD.webp
    115.8 KB · Views: 79
Possibly figured Koa wood but not sure.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like Zebra Wood.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1
To me they look like they were made in someone's shed on a lathe.....as crude as they look I'd guess they are older (late 1800"s?), or some 7th graders wood class project.

I cut a lot of ash for firewood every year and to me, especially with the picture showing the pith ( bottom of candle holder, center ring), my first guess would be ash, grain looks about right as well, obviously ash that's been stained. Second guess would be black walnut. If they were mine, and I was really really bored, I'd sand them down (they need it, lots of tool marks showing) and refinish them.
 
Upvote 0
I notice the latewood is darker than the earlywood. If it were stained, the earlywood would take up more stain and be darker. Oil would darken it all a bit but I think the color is close to its natural shade. The earlywood bands are very wide compared to the latewood which is not typical of any ash I am familiar with. I think it is some kind of tropical hardwood.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom