What's new

✅ SOLVED Any idea who or what this guy is?

diggummup

Platinum Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
17,871
Reaction score
10,149
Golden Thread
0
Location
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a small leather encased antique pocket mirror with an unknown figure on it. Can anybody identify this guy? Is it a Tibeten looking Monk or am I seeing things?
 

Attachments

  • 100_2019.webp
    100_2019.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 371
  • monk1.webp
    monk1.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 355
Baccus? He even looks like one of the seven Dwarf's of Disney fame.. But I think it is from the 1920's Deco style compact.
DG
 
Upvote 0
I dont know about a Tibeten monk, but whoever it is holds a stein of beer and a couple turkey legs.

Al
 
Upvote 0
deepskyal said:
I dont know about a Tibeten monk, but whoever it is holds a stein of beer and a couple turkey legs.

Al

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JC-hysterical.gif
 
Upvote 0
deepskyal said:
I dont know about a Tibeten monk, but whoever it is holds a stein of beer and a couple turkey legs.

Al
Turkey legs! That's it! I was thinking they were Maracas. doh!.gif :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • doh!.gif
    doh!.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 397
Upvote 0
I just had a :sign13: go off over my head. You think this could be Friar Tuck?
 
Upvote 0
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I figured i'd add some info. I just found. The "monk" depicted on this mirror case is known as the Münchner Kindl which is German for Munich Child. He is depicted wearing a cowl with a filled beer in one hand and radishes in the other. It's a semi comedic take-off of the Munich coat of Arms. Here is a link giving the history of Munich, it's coat of arms, and the Munich Child- History of the Munich Child --by Jack Lowenstein

I believe this mirror dated to the late 1800's to early 1900's.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom