What's new

Any ideas on this piece?

Tony (NC)

Full Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
181
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Claremont, NC
The piece was found at a house built in 1887. The tag is brass and 2-1/2" x 1". The reverse is is blank. Anyone got any guesses on this one?
 

Attachments

  • 18871.webp
    18871.webp
    71.9 KB · Views: 325
  • 18872.webp
    18872.webp
    70.2 KB · Views: 324
  • 18873.webp
    18873.webp
    141.4 KB · Views: 322
Looks like a tag that would have "slid" over a strap.

No clue from what or why.

The stamped No. & 1887 looks like mass manufacture, then, the "36" would have been post stamped, indicating an order number or part number later assigned.
 
Upvote 0
I think the 1887 refers to the year, as you have probably guessed. I agree, it looks like it slides onto a strap of some kind. The font and stamping look period. Hang onto it and repost ocassionally. Chances are good that someone may find another, or realize what it came from one day.
 
Upvote 0
YOU MIGHT CHECK WITH ANYONE THAT WORKS IN INDUSTRIAL PLUMBING/BOILERMAKER.
I HAVE MADE BRASS DISCS STAMPED IN THIS SAME MANNER FOR MILLWRIGHTS, MACHINEST
AND INDUSTRIAL PLUMBERS FOR STEAM VALVES AND STEAM CONTROLS TO BE STRAPPED OR CHAINED TO VALVES. THE PROCESS IS THE SAME TODAY AS IT WAS FIFTY YEARS AGO.
I WOULD ASSUME IT WAS THE SAME BACK THEN. A LISCENED BOILERMAKER WOULD MOST
LIKELY HAVE STUDIED THIS.

I HOPE THIS HELPS
PROSPECTORMIKEL

GOOD DAY, GOOD LUCK, AND MAY THE GOOD LORD TAKE A LIKIN' TO YA.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom