What's new

ANY IDEAS??? What Is This?

skfloyd

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this at an estate sale a few days ago but I have no clue as to what it could be. I am unable to read anything from the plate on the side. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 2011-05-14_11.37.23.webp
    2011-05-14_11.37.23.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 569
  • 2011-05-14_11.37.39.webp
    2011-05-14_11.37.39.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 561
A strap ratchet :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
were there farm implements at the sale? might be a rooster spur cutter---
 
Upvote 0
what does it do when you press the lever? I can't help but think I have seen something like that before.....but :icon_scratch: I keep thinking it might be an old linemans cable stripper
 
Upvote 0
How about a vintage bow string release? HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • bow string.webp
    bow string.webp
    4.2 KB · Views: 486
Upvote 0
Thread a rope through it, if it will go through one direction but not come back out unless you trip the lever, then what I think you have is an old type of ascender for climbing a rope. Are there any markings at all?
 
Upvote 0
NOLA_Ken said:
Thread a rope through it, if it will go through one direction but not come back out unless you trip the lever, then what I think you have is an old type of ascender for climbing a rope. Are there any markings at all?
Agree, although I have not seen this before.

Does "trigger" releases the "claw"?
 
Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay my inet has been out due to moving. It came in with stuff from a farm the guy doing the sale told me. When you press the trigger a hook moves up that is about a 1/4" in diameter. There are lots of moving parts inside just to make this happen though. There is a plate on the side but I am unable to read it.
 
Upvote 0
if you could post a pic of the other sides it may help, it's one of those things that, if it was in my hand, I could fiddle with it for a bit and figure it out..........I think.... :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Just a wild guess - maybe a hand stitcher, for sewing up bags of grain/seed for example. :icon_scratch:

Whatever it is,
it's interesting :icon_thumleft:

Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
Cool tool! But no clue, I'll tag along after the herd, see what turns up! LOL!
Looks as if, one may could do any of the above mentioned ideas, with it? :icon_scratch:
Good answers, good answers.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like one of Walter Mittey's inventions. It might make a lot of unnecessary motions and move gears and levers and do nothing! Just kidding. I'm pretty sure it is some kind of lineman's tool ergo the strap to prevent dropping it. Monty
 
Upvote 0
I spoke with the guy at the shop today and he said it came from an old mill but it still doesn't give me any help. Hopefully some of you can figure it out. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
tool for sealing the tops of bags?
like grain, flour or dogfood bags where you fold over the top, put on the paper edging and seal?
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?
Replies
4
Views
567
Replies
12
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom