What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Prince & …….. buffalo ny

ncsuwolf

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2024
Messages
1,241
Reaction score
3,218
Golden Thread
0
Location
Near Richmond va
Found a few days ago, just got around to cleaning this morning. Has a ferrous “stem” connected to a pewter-like backing, with (I’m guessing) an aluminum name plate. When found the pewter/name plate piece was rolled into circle and I had to straighten I bit to read the writing inside. Can see “prince &” on the top line and “ffalo ny” on the bottom. Was found near Richmond at a site that dates to mid 1800s, with mid 1700s sites close by. Any ideas on what it may be?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4701.webp
    IMG_4701.webp
    835 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4702.webp
    IMG_4702.webp
    718.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4703.webp
    IMG_4703.webp
    957.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4704.webp
    IMG_4704.webp
    720.5 KB · Views: 60
Nevermind…..found this. In business from 1840s-70s.

Next question…..is that nameplate aluminum or silver?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4705.webp
    IMG_4705.webp
    77.5 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0
The question about its being silver or aluminum is a good one to help dating. Aluminum became an industrial metal in the 1880s but was a precious metal before that because it was so difficult to extract from its ore.
 
Upvote 0
Reminds me of a caster. But I don´t think the name would be stamped into it if it was.
Screenshot 2026-08-03 3.06.25 PM.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom