What's new

any ideas what this might be ??

tiggar

Full Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
127
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found numerous brass looking pieces like this - I haven't been
keeping them until I realized that I was finding a lot of them.
Does anyone have any ideas what they might be ??
 

Attachments

  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 800
Upvote 0
Maybe some kind of ordanance fragment, as in .......
Bomb blew up and threw these fragments everywhere, so I'm getting these everywhere...
I've dug brass stuff like that....
 
It's British but there was an old WWI rifle grenade that could point toward what you found.

http://www.inert-ord.net/rod02h/no3/index.html

As far as bombs they didn't get that evolved with frag notches. They mostly left it at rough/jagged moulding within the bomb casing, filling it with HE. They would have only used small stuff on the beach but they did do a lot of training on beaches. Where I live they had quite a problem with U-boats. We had SBD's that used to patrol and I remember an old history teacher back in grade school that had served in one of the watch towers that dotted our coast. She told me that many a poor whale meant an untimely demise.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom