What's new

Counterfeit 18k ring

jeffrey.bean

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2026
Messages
35
Reaction score
134
Golden Thread
0
Hit an old swim hole, and found this 22g honker. Fresh out of the water, I thought it was brass/ copper, after looping it, I saw 18k, but didn’t think it was.
Tested it when I got home, looks to be 10k or less, as the line disappeared after a few minutes.
Hit it with a buffing wheel and brought out the shiny.
Anyone have a clue what the design on the ring is?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0968.webp
    IMG_0968.webp
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0969.webp
    IMG_0969.webp
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0973.webp
    IMG_0973.webp
    115 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0975.webp
    IMG_0975.webp
    54 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0
Hit an old swim hole, and found this 22g honker. Fresh out of the water, I thought it was brass/ copper, after looping it, I saw 18k, but didn’t think it was.
Tested it when I got home, looks to be 10k or less, as the line disappeared after a few minutes.
Hit it with a buffing wheel and brought out the shiny.
Anyone have a clue what the design on the ring is?
Bean, that totally sucks been there done that sometimes it turns out to be the real deal though I wish that were the case for you. That’s a big old (old I mean the way the 18 K is stamped) beauty. I have never seen that design on a ring if it were in saltwater, you’d have a much better chance of seeing if it was real or fake freshwater tends to be a bit gentler on the fool‘s gold. I bet you that got your heart pumping either way.🏴‍☠️
 
I've recovered 3 rings marked 18k and all 3 are brass!! They were found on home sites mid 1800s. Nice bunch of finds though!!!
 
Bean, that totally sucks been there done that sometimes it turns out to be the real deal though I wish that were the case for you. That’s a big old (old I mean the way the 18 K is stamped) beauty. I have never seen that design on a ring if it were in saltwater, you’d have a much better chance of seeing if it was real or fake freshwater tends to be a bit gentler on the fool‘s gold. I bet you that got your heart pumping either way.🏴‍☠️
No worries, I did find a 10k just before I found this one.
I’m pretty sure it’s an old scammers ring, even so, it’s a pretty neat back story.
 
Anyone have a clue what the design on the ring is?

Here's a thought on the design, and I could be WAY off -- it looks like a mountain scene as positioned in your first pic. Upside down in your third pic. If it is a mountain scene, one thought that comes to my mind is that the ring has a late 1940's look to it, and IF the scene is meant to depict the Himalayan mountains, perhaps it was lost by someone who once flew cargo planes or B29 bombers "over the hump" during WW2. Just a possible theory......
 
I found a nice ring a couple days ago marked Cartier AU750 with a serial #. It was SS. My friend told me that most Cartier rings are fake
 
I found a nice ring a couple days ago marked Cartier AU750 with a serial #. It was SS. My friend told me that most Cartier rings are fake
I have found three of them, all with the same serial number! :laughing7:
 
I found a nice ring a couple days ago marked Cartier AU750 with a serial #. It was SS. My friend told me that most Cartier rings are fake
Yep, I got one also..bet the serial number is the same
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom