What's new

Any Ideas?

cornspike

Full Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
156
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Old West
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-70, 5in dd coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first it looked like a sight to a rifle barrel but I really don't have a clue. It's brass and its broken off. What do you think?
 

Attachments

  • mddec 027.webp
    mddec 027.webp
    9 KB · Views: 446
  • mddec 026.webp
    mddec 026.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 430
  • mddec 028.webp
    mddec 028.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 439
Sorry' I don't have any idea as to the size of the object, because of the coin.
I am from NZ, and so the coin size does not mean anything..... inches, centimetres etc
Cheers
 
Upvote 0
I get the size, probably 2 - 3" long, the actual measurement
would help. But, also give us the side view as well. :icon_scratch:
Is it iron, forged or cast, looks cast?
 
Upvote 0
looks like the drop handle to a victorian chest of draws, something like this one
 

Attachments

  • 51-51-2.webp
    51-51-2.webp
    1.8 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
It looks like the front sight from a vent rib shotgun barrel to me? :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Pen with broken off pocket tab.

Al
 
Upvote 0
pot metal sight off an old cap gun........NGE
 
Upvote 0
It is ribbed like many gunsightes, but the front "blade" is way too wide to be of any use for sighting a rifle or handgun accurately. I have seen similar arrangements on various spotting scopes or telescopes just to ge you close enough to zero in on something at a distance, but that is doubtful. I dunno? Monty
 
Upvote 0
ok if all else fails as a lady friend used to say,
it's the thingamabob that goes to the whachamacallit
that hooks to the gizmo that runs the doohicky.
I had to do that Happy hollidays all,
 
Upvote 0
???????? Definitely fluted like some gun sights--but the protruding thingamajig is way too wide for a front post on a sight. I don't believe it's anything concerning a shotgun-whether single-barreled or double-barreled. My guestimation powers are stumped like a big toe on this one---some things we find are probably never going to be ID'd due to the passage of time and the fact that folks haven't used the questionable objects for many decades or possibly centures.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?
Replies
4
Views
563

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom