Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have the first one to be found as I don't see anything on the net or in my books. Anyway you can get a pic? I would love to see what it looks like. Cheers!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Although the Coppercoins' website is very seldom updated, it lists eight 1983-D Lincoln Cent "Repunched Mintmark" Varieties A Comprehensive Web Encyclopedia of U.S. Copper Coinage. However, none fit the decription by the O.P. of "(very distinctive) overlapping double D" as the one's listed would have to be viewed with a decent Gem Loupe to see that there are two "D" mintmarks where only one should be. It is quite possible that additional RPM (Repunched Mintmark) Varieties have been found but not listed on Coppercoins due to the problems they have encountered. It is funny that Coneca only lists two RPM Varieties for the Date and Mint Lincoln Cent RPMs 1980-1989 and I am unsure as to why this is the case! However, Coneca has a more strict standard and may have found that some of the additional RPM's listed by Coppercoins, are in fact just earlier or later Die Stages of other RPM's and could be somewhat due to the Error and Die Variety Master Listing having not been updated by Dr. Wiles since March 17, 2014.

If the O.P. can post pics of the coin and a closeup of the Mintmarks, we may be able to determine if the coin in fact has a repunched mintmark or whether the double "D" is due to Machine Doubling, Copper plating problems or something else.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Theriena

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2015
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few pics and thank you for your feedback.

Attachments

• 1425319860542.jpg
    1425319860542.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 633
  • 1425319881859.jpg
    1425319881859.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 520
  • 1425320057578.jpg
    1425320057578.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 498

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Theriena... First off, welcome to the Treasure Net Forums and I am sorry that I did not welcome you in my previous post! Second, I am sorry to say that IMHO, the coin is not a Repunched Mintmark Variety. It appears that the area to the Southeast of the "D" mintmark took a hit, exposed the Zinc core and corrosion & the elements created what can be confused as another "D" mintmark. As you can see, the actual "D" mintmark also took a hit on it as well and corrosion & the elements have made it almost unrecognizable. Don't give up, you will eventually find a coin that is a Repunched Mintmark or other Variety. It took me a long time before I got in tune on knowing what to look for and finally found one, then two which grew into dozens, then grew into hundreds of them.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Theriena

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2015
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
😀Thank you Frank, for the welcoming welcome. Also, for the knowledgeable information that I was seeking. :)

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
That coin has been altered. The ‘D’ has been soldered on, or affixed by epoxy. I lean toward solder. My guess is that someone with too much time on their hands attempted to create something that appeard to have a repunched mint mark.

Too late for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread