Any info on this buckle I got as my lone desirable today?

VTSwinger

May 5, 2017
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• PXL_20220604_213213992.jpg
    PXL_20220604_213213992.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20220604_213220898.jpg
    PXL_20220604_213220898.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
Upvote 7

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Having dedicated much research to this topic, the earliest patent I can find on any type of buckle cover was held by Henry Pott, circa 1874. His cover, however, was an integral part of the buckle itself, and mainly served as a buckle loop, rather than a shield. The first true buckle cover patent that I could find was held by David Mosman, issued in 1879, and it more closely resembles the solid brass covers with the rigid ends that we also see attributed to the Civil War. The first true buckle cover that resembles these that we see with hearts was patented by Ralph Wooding in 1892. Prior to these dates, the only reference to buckle covers/protectors/shields was the use of a secondary leather strap that covered the face of the buckle. My research is always continuing as new information and leads come about, but so far, I have not found anything that definitively dates these to the Civil War era.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having dedicated much research to this topic, the earliest patent I can find on any type of buckle cover was held by Henry Pott, circa 1874. His cover, however, was an integral part of the buckle itself, and mainly served as a buckle loop, rather than a shield. The first true buckle cover patent that I could find was held by David Mosman, issued in 1879, and it more closely resembles the solid brass covers with the rigid ends that we also see attributed to the Civil War. The first true buckle cover that resembles these that we see with hearts was patented by Ralph Wooding in 1892. Prior to these dates, the only reference to buckle covers/protectors/shields was the use of a secondary leather strap that covered the face of the buckle. My research is always continuing as new information and leads come about, but so far, I have not found anything that definitively dates these to the Civil War era.
Good info, some ebayers would want you to believe these to be CW...lol
(I think it was wrongly published in a book somewhere?)
I like it when good published research waters down the internet/book myth.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions