Any Info on this Token????

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this the other day in one of my high producing spots. This area has lots of History in the 1800's with slaves, lumber mills, and some civil action. I did some research but only come up with limited info such as the Mills owner and date it was started, 1899. Any one have any info such as date, value, etc???

Token Says
Robinson Point Lumber Co.
Robinson Point Fla.
Good for 10 in mechandise

IMG_20130713_223500.jpg IMG_20130713_223245.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
BJ - three suggestions: (1)Contact C. R. Clark, the guy who wrote the Florida Trade Tokens book and in 2011 put out a large supplement (which I haven't seen). Go to Florida Token Society * The Official Florida Token Website and follow the link to Clark's contact info. or contact Steve Ratliff on the main page. (2)Contact Terry Trantow, the guy who wrote the book on Lumber Company Store Tokens. I'm sorry to say I don't have a current e-mail for him - you might have better luck searching than I. He lived in Washington state when he did the book I have. (3) Post your pics and the token description on TokenCatalog.com and see what the other token collectors have to say about it.
John in the Great 208

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
trantow's "catalogue of lumber company store tokens"
shows the token is unlisted. only the nickel & quarter have been reported. they are both R-10 the highest rarity.

this second edition of the lumber book was published in 1998. it remains, the "go to" book for lumber token collectors.
you should write mr clark like idahotokens suggests.
I would think an unlisted lumber token in this condition on ebay would bring well over $100 maybe 200.
search completed listings on ebay for lumber tokens of similar rarity.
I know a guy that would make a serious offer, but putting it on ebay gets multiple collectors a chance!

intimer

OP
OP
B

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I have and will submit photos trying to get more info. Still waiting on info from the local historical society, figure they have to know something. I have gotten some really neat coins from this site, but this is the coolest so far. Of all my research of the history here, never ever heard of this Mill until I found this token. I doubt I would ever sell any of my finds, but is part of the thrill to get history and a value. I've dug some really cool coins and still have every one of them. Guess I like saying I have rather than I had.

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great token! I found a few tidbits of news on the mill...

robinson point mill.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Joe,

"...Two years later in August of 1898, there appears a deed in the public records from Otis Lumber Company, selling for $2,000.00 to Simeon Otis a one-third interest in 1,740 acres of land, plus an additional approximate 65 acres on Robinson Point. There was the same mention of the graveyard reserved to public use forever, plus there was now mention of a sawmill, engines, boilers, machinery and tools. Apparently Otis Lumber Company was owned by Sim Otis along with C. W. Hagerman who was identified as President, and F. B. Hagerman was Secretary. The extent of their involvement was not researched.

Also, at this same time, Otis Lumber Company sold to P. Tomasello for $4,000.00 a two-thirds interest in the same property, mill and equipment.

In addition, Otis Lumber Company agreed to sell all their pitch pine logs at the mill or in streams, to Robinson Point Lumber Company for $10,000.00. The 1,740 acres, the mill site and the equipment sold for $6,000.00 of this $10,000.00, leaving the value of the logs at $4,000.00. They also sold all the goods in the store at the mill of Otis Lumber Company at Robinson Point, Florida, for $806.80. Sim Otis was probably not out of the picture yet, as Robinson Point Lumber Company was a co-partnership composed of P. Tomasello and S. Otis. (However, this S. Otis could have been Sim's brother, Sylvester H. Otis.) The agreement also allowed Otis to store lumber at no charge until it could be removed. Robinson Point Lumber Company incorporated in 1899 according to their Charter and Notice of Incorporation.

On May 3, the following year, 1899, Simeon and Frances E. Otis sold almost all their holdings to Peter Tomasello. These holdings consisted of 1/3 undivided interest in lands (probably over 3,000 acres) and the mill, plus their 1/2 interest in Robinson Point Lumber Company. Tomasello paid $3,500.00 cash, plus assumed the debt of about $750.00 which Otis owed, which Tomasello was to satisfy. Otis even sold all his personal property except for a sailboat christened "Dewey", 2 pairs oyster tongs, 1 horse and buggy, his personal tools, effects, and household furnishings. He probably had decided to move to Mulat, because about 8 months later he purchased a parcel along the railroad track and the bayou for $100.00. The exact location of this land was not determined, but he purchased this from Warren E. Urch and Agnes Urch. Could this have been the house site?..." http://gen.culpepper.com/ss/p43355.htm

410_P3030217_at_20.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions