Any of you Galveston hunters ever hunted

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
any of the school grounds around Galveston? I am retired but drive a school bus for Angleton ISD and yesterday took the volleyball team to go play at Austin Middle School there in Galveston. Talked to one of the coaches and the subject turned to metal detecting (yeah right!). Anyway, the coach tells me that he used to do that and he didn't see any problems with searching around the middle school. He didn't know off hand when the school was built but that it was used as a shelter during Hurricane Carla which came thru here when I was in Jr. High back around 1961 . He also told me that the original black high school was located on 27th street and that the original building is still standing, a big red brick building. There are other areas that go back a few years, just wondering if any of you guys have ever hunted these areas, thinking about making a trip down there and do some hunting, don't know how bad those areas are but I have been in bad parts of towns before and never had any problems, I do carry just in case. Thanks for any info and if anyone is interested in hunting there maybe we can make arrangements and hunt there some time. HH John

It's been a while I used to occasionally hunt them. Should be no problem on the public schools.
Several of us did very well a few years ago on the school expansion projects at Ball HS and Galveston College.
Best looking Texas Guard/Ranger button I've seen dug came from one of those demo sites.
Some of the schools are closed from Ike damage, those would be the ones to concentrate on. Check with Buster from the Galveston metal detecting club, [email protected] . I'm 80 miles from there in Spring.

I may be hunting there when the colder weather comes and kills those darn mutant mosquitos out in the fields.

Thanks for the info Byron, appreciate it. Next time you go hunt in Galveston and want some company, holler at [email protected] John Saldivar I'm a retired Chemical Plant Operations worker but do drive a school bus for Angleton ISD doing field trips but can get away just about anytime. Check out Austin Middle School, been there many years but still in use. Later, John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back