What's new

Any of you point hunters knap your own also?

Trooper733

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
390
Reaction score
315
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I am getting into knapping myself and wondered if anyone on here who hunts points also do any knapping themselves? I am just a beginner by all means and looking for some insight into who you get tools and stone from.
 
Upvote 0
I knapp a bit, and made some heads for a friend who took a deer with them.
 
Got some good stuff from a new friend on here and some other flakes I had ordered of novaculite, obsidian, and other heat treated chert. Looking forward to trying my hand
 
Also, Going to the river tomorrow, if I find any ill post pics
 
There was a youtube video I watched a while back. A young man was knapping obsidian. He was an absolute joy to watch. He used rocks and deer horn. He is a natural....I just wished I could remember his name. You might Google arrowhead knapping and find him that way. Guaranteed, watching him is worth the effort searching the net.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the responses and PM's I look forward to learning this ancient craft. I will post some of my efforts when I get that far.
KingsKid, Knapping is the using of tools to make arrowheads, spear points, knives, etc from chert, flint, obsidian and other substrates that will fracture in a conchoidal pattern to flake to a certain shape. Did I do the definition justice guys?

I have hunted and collected points and tools for many years, and have always wanted to learn to make my own and have just gotten to a point where I can devote the time.
 
I had planned on taking a deer with a stone point then dressing it with a flake tool. Got down to the wire and could not mess around. Used modern tools.
 
Hello I am new I live in Bucks Pa I have some raw flint stones i found at a site I was wondering how long it takes to learn and were would I get sone for it would not use these sentimental I send some phons been exploring 39 years in the area William Penn settled near hear
 
I see you are from eastern Oklahoma, Crag Ratzat is in Quapaw , Ok and he has A flintknapping supply house. Neolithics I saw him at the North Ga. Knappin and he has a tremendous supply of rock. If he is close enough you may want to go over and see what he has.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom