Any Old Maps or Info of the Westward Expansion Trails used during the 1800s?

Jun 2, 2013
SW Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have often wondered if anyone has attempted to follow the Original Westward Expansion Trails, looking for Treasure either lost or left behind?
With all the adversities the Pioneers must have encountered during those long treks, they must have left a trail of treasures behind.
What with treacherous river crossings, mountain pass trails, attacks by Indians as well as bandits, items of value must have been lost or left behind.
Does anyone know of resources to aid someone during Our time to follow in the footsteps of the Pioneers?
There were many well-known Trails such as the: Santa Fe Trail, Old Spanish Trail, Oregon Trail, Bridger Trail, California Trail, Mormon Trail, Southern Emigrant Trail.
I live in Montana, North of Fort Laramie, Wyoming which is where both the Oregon Trail & Jim Bridger Trail set out from.
I realize a vast majority of this land is probably Privately owned by now but, if approached properly & even an agreement to share in any finds, it may be possible to follow these trails in search of forgotten treasure. Any ideas on how to rediscover these old Westward Expansion Trails?

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
... all those trails are marked. Ft. Laramie was a post along the Oregon trail not a starting point but is a great place to learn. The Scottsbluff monument is another...

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any good book on the subject will have maps.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of those started as Indian trails, which in turn the settlers followed, which in turn got cleared and widened to allow their ox carts to pass, which then got improved with crushed rock, raised with rock retaining walls, with ditches for water flow, river and creek fordings replaced with wooden bridges, later with steel bridges etc

What i'm saying is, almost without exception, those old trails are now our modern roads. You can sometimes find old bypassed sections where they found an easier route or shortened the path and it doesn't hurt to detect, though i personally find just odd hardware of wagons, horse shoes, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread