Any One Interested in a possible C/W Cannon find in NC Mountains ?

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
if so let me know....reading a diary i found where an ''artilliary cassion'', several horses and a couple mules went over the edge of a steep trail and was lost.....''was lost '' to me means was not recovered....i would presume a cassion as mentioned would be hauling a cannon although one was not mentioned....either a cannon or ammo or i can see no other reason to be hauling one around.........cannonballs still bring a premium too......i can tell you the starting point and the ending point of the day it was lost....traveling up mountain, narrow, steep trail, with wagons/cassions/cavalry, they did not travel far...........

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would not include a cannon as they were pulled separately from the caissons.
Even still...if it were filled with ammo that would be worth good money and be great to find. :thumbsup:

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this post is old...but never recovered...there's probably a reason it hasn't...and probably won't be, unfortunately.

Anyway, I grew up there and some of the areas are so thick with rhodedendron (see the pic below) that you can't even think about getting through it. Trust me...these trees may not be big but they are Tough!

It's still fun to look though...my brother's and I spent many many days searching for an old locomotive that had fallen from an old trestle and was never recovered but had been sighted during a forest fire decades earlier. Never found it....darn rhodedendron!

Attachments

• 1206297914_05056.jpg
    1206297914_05056.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 664

Lo4D

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2013
Western North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this post is old...but never recovered...there's probably a reason it hasn't...and probably won't be, unfortunately.

Anyway, I grew up there and some of the areas are so thick with rhodedendron (see the pic below) that you can't even think about getting through it. Trust me...these trees may not be big but they are Tough!

It's still fun to look though...my brother's and I spent many many days searching for an old locomotive that had fallen from an old trestle and was never recovered but had been sighted during a forest fire decades earlier. Never found it....darn rhodedendron!

Beautiful pic, it totally reminds me of something i walked near Mt Mitchell!

I agree, this looks like an old thread, but I'd be interested in searching for leads like this once I move down to this area (currently in Deep Creek/Chesapeake VA, moving down here in 2 years to property in Black Mountain and Marion).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions