Any one up for a voyage?

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola amigos

Anyone yearning for adventure harking back to the days of the old salts roving the high seas with a fair wind to sail?

Docked on Auckland?s waterfront, a 101-year-old ship is offering an escape from the closed-bordered world of Covid-19.

The Alvei, which is Norse for 'one who goes everywhere', is seeking three deckhands to join its crew for a voyage that will see it sail in September from Auckland to Pitcairn Island, Easter Island, the Gal?pagos Islands, and then to the Caribbean via the Panama Canal​.

From there the crew will travel up the eastern seaboard of North America.

Alvei?s captain, Geoffrey Jones, is looking for people with a sense of humour that can stand up to the high seas, and a willingness to learn and work. They don?t need to be experienced sailors.

d0e9dd916a83d2200d21.jpeg

?The deal is no money goes either way. I don?t pay them, they don?t pay me. I feed them and teach them, and I?m not shy about handing them a chipping hammer or a paintbrush,? Jones said.

?I try to give people jobs that are appropriate to their knowledge. If someone is a carpenter there?s some carpentry that needs to be fixed.

?If they know how to weld, there?s some welding that needs to be done. If they are good at administrative stuff they might be the one that?s filling out the customs form.?

Those selected will spend their time on the 38m-long steel ship filling one of the three navigation watches which run around the clock, and helping out with additional work.

While the Alvei may be sparce on creature comforts, it does boast its own hot tub ? a converted barrel heated by an open fire, and powered by a converted off-board motor.

Jake Happe, the ship?s boatswain, said the warm bath was bliss on a cold day at sea.

Jones and his crew are currently busy stocking the Alvei with 10 months worth of food, five tonnes of diesel, and an equal amount of drinking water.

The voyage should take 40 days, Jones said, but could be longer due to the unpredictability of wind power.

The upcoming voyage is expected to take 40 days. That?s presuming wind will carry the Alvei 100 miles a day.

?If we have to bypass Pitcairn Island and go directly to Easter Island, that?s 3900 nautical miles, so just call it 40 days in round numbers,? Jones said.

6O32W2ADK56K4L7LU4FT7KR67M.jpg

Anyone planning to join the crew should be prepared for the trip to take longer, however, with headwinds always a threat to the schedule.

Current crew members are a diverse bunch hailing from the US, Australia, France, and Spain.

So amigos for those daring to sail in the footsteps of ancient mariners here is a unique opportunity of a lifetime.

Kanacki

OP
OP
KANACKI

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola amigos

For those at a stage in life looking to step out of their comfort zone.

Sailing on the whims of wind and tides there is no feeling like it. Voyaging across the deep blue ocean with ever changing sky where time has no meaning. It only the rhythms and song of the sails and rigging you enter a world when the ship becomes a living breathing being, it becomes part of you and the window into your own soul.

The ship and crew is your world and the outside world ceases to exist. All problems you have you have had in past dissolves away becoming really quite small. As you have left that world and have stepped back in time with only the song of ship matters....

p423.jpg

You will do things beyond your imagination have moments what the f..... I am doing? It is like falling into the dream where day merges into night working with people you will never forget. Being part of the crew you are riding the magic carpet together riding the wind in which one cannot exist without each other. There is always a risk that you will never get there but if you do you will be a different person. You will sow memories onto your soul. You will live every breathing moment with life and death never far away.

You become a person with presence and with so many stories to tell....and with a clarity only known to those who have dared to seek.

And I guarantee you will walk off that ship with swagger like the pirates of old.

p430.jpg

Kanacki

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have owned 2 different 30 foot sail boats. A 1968 Pearson and a Morgan. my oh my, the Morgan was a sweet boat with all that paneling down below.
But that was 20 years ago. Never sailed offshore and that was a dream.

Ok you younger guys not married, I will tell you this from experience. If you don't take the chance right now for adventure, you NEVER, EVER WILL. This sounds like a dream adventure you will never ever get again in your whole life. You will have real stories to tell over drinks instead of talking about your dreams.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
34 Ft Catalina (2000) and a 31 ft Pearson (1968) here. But in sweet water (Great Lakes, Finger Lakes). A dozen or so smaller sailboats, still have a little gaff-catboat, that we trailer sailed around the Chesapeake Bay. Great times. Glad we did what we did when we did.

I'd do it for food and a hammock. Or I would have when I was more flexible (as in bending at the joints rather than life responsibilities . . . though there are those as well).

Do it!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I had a Columbia 34 Mark 2. What I would have given to go on this trip twenty years ago.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Did you hear about the guy that bought a 40 foot boat off craigslist for $1500.00 got the engines running, Filled every spare compartment with gasoline and took it to Hawaii?

]

No bit I did hear about the lady who complained her new boat didn't run right. It turns out the trailer was still attached.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigos

Here is Alvei in Fiji

At lot of good fun people you meet.

Crow