Any plans for a Legend update beyound 1.11?

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
O swell....I had managed to update to version 11 some time ago, and NOW I wonder if it is working properly. Look, I am tech. challenged I would say about myself, so then, after watching the video that Oldkoot provided, (Thank you Oldcoot), start out with a factory preset, try and follow the video, then do another factory preset? I'm ready to go back to my Minelab Safari.
yeah Ive done left the Legend LOL, and not looking back, I do still have one Legend left that I have kept to see what this new beast mode is all about, but from what I am hearing from others there is mixed thoughts on this new beast mode

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK, started to watch the video, not a Nokta site but something else, and he is explaining the process like I'm really computer literate. Well...I'm not. The hell with it.
sorry sprailroad for the laughing face, but do not take it to hard you are not the only one that still has troubles with the updates for the Legend, here is the other thing Nokta still has not updated those out of date CP210x drivers that created issues for some of us
as I stated in my reply just before this reply I have given up on the Legend even though I still have a Legend it is not seeing any swing time, it is in time out for good unless something drastic changes I will most likely will be parting ways with my last legend also, it just is not for me

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry sprailroad for the laughing face, but do not take it to hard you are not the only one that still has troubles with the updates for the Legend, here is the other thing Nokta still has not updated those out of date CP210x drivers that created issues for some of us
as I stated in my reply just before this reply I have given up on the Legend even though I still have a Legend it is not seeing any swing time, it is in time out for good unless something drastic changes I will most likely will be parting ways with my last legend also, it just is not for me
I'm curious, what turned you off the Legend? Was it one thing in particular that really annoyed you? Was there some sort of proverbial last straw that made you put it down?

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please take into account that at least 1 person had some info out there about his Legend 1.11 update problems. The thought process was there were old drivers in the 1.11. update package at some point. The guy posted his findings and also a link to the drivers. It was not something a lot of people could do, even though it was simple if you are fairly proficient with computers. It involved downloading a new driver package and installing that on your PC. After that you redo the Nokta update.
As with all things electronic, factory default the Legend BEFORE and AFTER you do the update. But before you do write down any settings you want to keep so you can restore your customizations.
Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART driver was the believed problem. There is a link to more updated drivers. The link is below:
for Windows users you would want to grab the CP210x Universal Windows Driver, unzip it and then install it. The Legend update Tool zip file has a directory in it but that one contains the older driver that potentially could cause problems especially on newer windows versions.
I'm taking a pretty deep dive on this. But, from what I discovered Nokta used an older Legacy version of the Silicon Labs VCP driver in their package. That particular one was able to work flawlessly with WinXP/Win7. But not so much with Windows 10 and 11. I can see the guy's logic on this.
For even more of a deep dive, the Nokta version of the driver included in its update tool is 6.76 which supports Win XP, Vista, Win7, and Win8.
The newest is 11.3 and as per their release it says
OS VERSIONS
-----------
This package provides the CP210x VCP driver for the following versions
of Windows:

- Windows 10 version 1803 and later (x64, x86)
- Windows 11 (x64)

I can go deeper on this but ultimately it would depend on what OS you are running. Anything less than Win 10 you will be fine with the Nokta update. Win10 and up maybe a problem due to the driver being old in the Nokta package.
Like mentioned, this is a pretty deep explanation of what could potentially be a cause of weird behavior after updating the Legend with a PC of Windows 10 and higher.
Attached some screen shots to help visualize what the issue is.

First one- Inside the Legend Update Tool you can see the Cp210x drivers folder.
View attachment 2140965

Next we take a look and see the version as mentioned above. Not ready for anything above Windows 8.
View attachment 2140966
In this next one we take a peek inside the Silicon Labs windows Universal Driver that is compatible with Windos 10 and up (x86 and x64 version). Disregard the ARM directories as that is a different chip architecture we will not be using if on a laptop or desktop PC.
View attachment 2140967
View attachment 2140968
In an ideal world to be safe it won't hurt a thing to install the Universal Windows Drivers, reboot PC and then try the Nokta Update again if you are having issues. I can't see where this would harm anyone's machine- I've looked it over well enough to say its safe due to coming from the manufacturer of the chipset inside the Legend that communicates so updates can happen. I wish I could remember who the Youtube guy was(Andy Williams, Thanks to oldkoot and his video below my post), but credit goes to him on this. I'm just trying to break it down for everybody else. I hope it helps you.
So... in very simple terms, that a 3rd grader could understand, does this look like all the right stuff needed if I choose to update to 1.14? Acquired this when I last updated. To the best of my recollection I just choose the update on the Nokta site. As I have said before, I can jump start your heart, but I don't know ---- about computers.
20240411_172932.jpg

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What might, if anything, the beast mode or deep target identification do for me on the Treasure Coast beaches, in wet and dry ocean sand? Not the only place I detect, and may not affect my decision to upload it, just curious. So far I don't see many negatives since I had no previous update problems.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So... in very simple terms, that a 3rd grader could understand, does this look like all the right stuff needed if I choose to update to 1.14? Acquired this when I last updated. To the best of my recollection I just choose the update on the Nokta site. As I have said before, I can jump start your heart, but I don't know ---- about computers. View attachment 2142842
No, that is the Legend Update pack drivers, they are not the newest.
You have to download the New Universal Driver from
Silicon Labs Site Link
After you download it you must Unzip/Extract it
1712885406103.png

It will by default unzip to the folder you have it saved into.
1712885460235.png

Inside this folder you want to right click on the file called silabser.inf and left click INSTALL
1712886760789.png

Plug in the legend to your PC, so you can see the Silicon Labs Component we will be updating.
This is the crucial step, because if the Legend is not plugged into your computer you can't see the port.

Open a Run Command by pressing and holding the windows key on your keyboard(between left ctrl and alt buttons) and tap the R key. So that is Win+R. That opens up the run dialog.
Now copy this C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc and paste that into that run dialog and press enter or click OK.
1712886053444.png

That opens up Device Manager. Look for the PORTS section and open that up. You will see our target. The Silicon Labs entry.
1712886146167.png

Right Click it and then choose the Update Driver option by left clicking that.
1712886197400.png

Now you will choose the "Browse My Computer for Drivers/Locate and install manually"
1712886291682.png

Then Click the "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". (see below)
1712886851078.png

Now you select the Silicon Labs CP210x 11.3.0.176 version, click it once to highlight it like seen below. And then click on NEXT.
1712886936115.png

Now it should tell you it has installed the driver.
Reboot your PC
Fire up the Legend Update Program and do as it instructs you to do the Software update. After that is complete do a factory reset on your Legend. That should do it.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What might, if anything, the beast mode or deep target identification do for me on the Treasure Coast beaches, in wet and dry ocean sand? Not the only place I detect, and may not affect my decision to upload it, just curious. So far I don't see many negatives since I had no previous update problems.
To be honest from reading what others have said, for me personally the only thing I would be interested in would be the Deep Target ID. I'm mainly a coin hunter so that may help me out on deep stuff. I'm still at 1.13 on my Legend.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Rob, appreciate your time and patience.
No Problem. I hope it helped you in some way. It's nice to help others. Especially when you get into something this deep like driver updating. It's confusing to a lot of people. And my way of doing it may be different from someone else's. But I'm not a stranger to computer stuff. Been tinkering around with them since I was 13 or 14. Since the Tandy TRS-80 was considered "a computer". LOL

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Problem. I hope it helped you in some way. It's nice to help others. Especially when you get into something this deep like driver updating. It's confusing to a lot of people. And my way of doing it may be different from someone else's. But I'm not a stranger to computer stuff. Been tinkering around with them since I was 13 or 14. Since the Tandy TRS-80 was considered "a computer". LOL
Don't forget the 'Timex Sinclair' Z80:)
😀

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your time RobNC, but it just confirms what I said about it being over MY head. My Legend is at 1.11, and there it stays. I bought the EQ 900, I will start using that one way more instead. I just want to enjoy detecting again, not worrying about if I somehow up-dated correctly or not, or that my "drivers" are not Driving??? or something.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm curious, what turned you off the Legend? Was it one thing in particular that really annoyed you? Was there some sort of proverbial last straw that made you put it down?
I will PM you the Details of why I became turned off from the Legend, I will not do it on open forum but will in a PM if that is ok

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will PM you the Details of why I became turned off from the Legend, I will not do it on open forum but will in a PM if that is ok
Yes Sir, that would be welcomed. I respect genuine honesty above all other things.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was interesting, to say the least.
Here is what I'm thinking at this point:
There is no downside to updating to 1.14
1. If you just don't like it go back to whatever previous update you like.
2. If it does not mess up your Legend, but does not deliver on the new features just don't use them.
3. If it does not mess up your Legend and does deliver on the new features it's a win.
4. If it does improve your Legend's overall performance, but does not deliver on the new features, it's still a win.
5. If it in fact improves overall performance of your Legend AND delivers on the two new features it's a win/win.
6. You will be all set should you acquire the pinpointer.

I suppose it could be considered a downside if you did a restore to factory defaults as directed and had to redo a lot of personal settings. Most likely someone can think of some other less than positive factors. I like that I get to try out new developments without having to buy new and different detectors. Thanks Nokta. I will however wait until it is not a beta test. If as requested people find any flaws/problems and communicate them to Nokta and then those translate to a change, I won't have to repeat the update process.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandog, for guys like "ME", your #6 would go to #7, My # 6 would be, If I can find someone who can do any furture up-date for me, it would be a win/win/win........just saying fella's.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Followed your instructions, mostly, and actually got it all worked out. Today I noticed that on the Nokta site 1.14 was no longer listed as 1.14 Beta, so I did the upload. Went just fine. Did my factory default restore. Thanks again for the help.
BTW, it was in Kings Mountain, NC that I did most of that heart jumpstart work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread