Any thoughts on this pipe?

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if this is a modern pipe or something older?? I normally can tell what a modern drug pipe is when I find them but this one I have my doubts. I believe it brass or copper. Found this a few years ago and always thought it was older. 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reminds me of a candle lighter with a bell snuffer
LS915_184_435.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That crossed my mind it being part of a gas or oil lighting fixture. It has what looks like remnants of wood in the end. I wouldn't think wood would be used with a gas lamp tho, that's why made me think some kind of smoking pipe.
Part of an old gas lighting fixture I think.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just discovered the fact its two pieces. If that helps any. 005.JPG 006.JPG

Upvote 0

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that I see it comes apart leaning towards a smoking pipe of some sort ...

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have never seen a smoking device threaded like that.Also the bowl seems disproportionate to the stem

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
kuger, threaded, assembled pipes are still popular with stoners...

while it has most of the attributes of being a pipe..i believe it is a wall hanger, not a serviceable piece.
fake opium pipe...
any residue in the stem area? scrape and burn it...what does it smell like?

Upvote 0

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger, threaded, assembled pipes are still popular with stoners...

while it has most of the attributes of being a pipe..i believe it is a wall hanger, not a serviceable piece.
fake opium pipe...
any residue in the stem area? scrape and burn it...what does it smell like?

Ohh I like this idea the best .. strictly ornamental fake opium or hash pipe. non functional

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first found it I didn't see any markings but I just looked over it real good with my magnifier and I found this. Thanks nhbenz. 011.JPG Hard to see but its engraved crudely 153J. Another strange thing is the bowl part is only 5/8" deep then the round part is open space. 012.JPG So this could be a gas lamp that was fix to a wall. I can see that. Its just that I found it in the middle of the woods nowhere near a home site or anything. I guess stranger things have happened! And there is no residue from what I can tell. I have found clay pipes and they never had any residue except that burnt look. I did find it in the area of a Rail Road so first thing I was thinking it was a 1800s Chinese opium pipe from the workers that laid that built that line. Now that I see its threaded and engraved it cant be that old.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thing and I wanted to add. Its hard to tell from the pic but were the tip of the pen is,, that appears to be wood. 013.JPG Would a gas lamp be built with wood? As a pipe I always imagined it having a long wood stem something like this. 014.JPG The more I think about it the site I found it is so remote with very steep terrain it makes no sense to find a gas wall fixture unless it was some how portable.:dontknow: I guess I always liked tell people it was part of a 1800's Chinese smoking pipe. Story just doesn't sound as cool telling people its part of a gas lamp. Or worse it's modern.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks kinda hookah to me. I'm going with some kind of smoking pipe

Attachments

• hooka.jpg
    hooka.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I've been swayed to the dark side :tongue3: ... I agree with the hookah pipe. I can't find a match to it online, but it's very similar in enough ways, and the marking is done in a way that brass items from the same regions are often marked.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last question and then im going to let this go. If it is a gas lamp it would have to be per-electricity that sort of put a date on lamp fixture idea. But if it a smoking pipe is it older or some 1960's hippy pipe. Can anyone tell me,, if they now about metal work how old is it. Did they have the technology to make something like this in the 1800's? Just looking at the way its built and made. I have no qlue. I do agree its a smoking pipe of some sort.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know smoking pipes other than Opium pipes of which I collect and have researched extensivly,and I can tell you it is not a opium pipe

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread